Thread: How often do you replace RG-213 coax?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tribal Warrior

How often do you replace RG-213 coax?

I have a Hexbeam up and I feed it with RG-213. It's been up for ten years. It doesn't seem to have the punch it used to have and SWR has been climbing. My thinking is the coax is breaking down or it's gotten wet inside from the years of Florida rain. I have it lowered and I'm going to take it down and give it a go over. Should I change the coax too?
    The fall of this country will not be at the hands of a foreign enemy, but at the hands of the ignorant and uneducated of this country.

Check your PL-259's. Weak point. Lets in weather.
    Coax is rarely an issue unless you overheat it with power. Wet spots near the ends will result in heat.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Check your PL-259's. Weak point. Lets in weather.
    Coax is rarely an issue unless you overheat it with power. Wet spots near the ends will result in heat.
    I switched to using N-type connectors for this very reason.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    I switched to using N-type connectors for this very reason.
    After connecting antenna and coax, I spray liquid rubber on the area or more recently, Flex Seal.
    I have used the self adhering silicone tape. Spray on stuff is better. Covers the whole connector and bottom of antenna where the SO-239 is.
    And yes I agree that N connectors are better.

Since you have the antenna down, just replace the COAX. I have a remote radio in Florida and the sun, heat, rain, the general climate, I replace the coax every 2 years. Before I got hold of the radio, a previous individual had put 213 on it and 5 years later the SWR was sky high. Had to make a trip to the site and when I touched the COAX the jacket literally crumbled in my hands. In spots the jacket had completely eroded and the braid was exposed. I'd say your10 year old COAX is at least 5-6 years past its prime.
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

Quote Originally Posted by K4PIH View Post
    Since you have the antenna down, just replace the COAX. I have a remote radio in Florida and the sun, heat, rain, the general climate, I replace the coax every 2 years. Before I got hold of the radio, a previous individual had put 213 on it and 5 years later the SWR was sky high. Had to make a trip to the site and when I touched the COAX the jacket literally crumbled in my hands. In spots the jacket had completely eroded and the braid was exposed. I'd say your10 year old COAX is at least 5-6 years past its prime.
    This is a good point. See if your coax has a UV rating.

Wet counttry here as well, i always use selfamalgamating tape to water tight all connections, even N connectors outside...
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Tribal Warrior
    Thank You gentlemen.
    The fall of this country will not be at the hands of a foreign enemy, but at the hands of the ignorant and uneducated of this country.