Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New toy IC 9700

New toy IC 9700

Had some spare money around so decided to replace the old Diamond X 510 N vertical for the Comet GP 98 N tribander antenna, i get too old for the shit to climb on the ( new) slanted roof....
    Replace the FT 991 A 2/70 part for the Icom IC 9700 2/70/23 radio.
    FT 991 A used mostly on HF so a dedicated 2/70 and 23 cm radio will do.
    Steep learning curve ahead me thinks first get FT-8 working again and have the FT 991 a working there as well...
    Have a good weekend, radio will arrive next week or so.
    Last edited by PA5COR; 07-14-2023 at 07:34 AM.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

If my IC-7300 is any example, you’re going to love the 9700. And it’s really easy to use the new Icom radios on FT8; there are just a few menu options you need to check. Most of them are probably already set as default.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    If my IC-7300 is any example, you’re going to love the 9700. And it’s really easy to use the new Icom radios on FT8; there are just a few menu options you need to check. Most of them are probably already set as default.
    IC-7300, IC-9700 and R-8600 are going in the main shack as a remote-control option.

I wish the IC-905 had 222 and 902MHz, else I'd opt for one of those instead of a 9700.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I got the FT991 A sorted in 3 months so the 9700 will be easier, looks like F-8 will not be a problem just that on the same laptop i use it for the FT991 a as well.
    Will find out soon enough if that becomes a problem... ;)
    radio arrives tomorrow....
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Very much congratulations! (as I like to say)

Thanks he said, bit doubting what i did to myself ;)

Updated firmware, put in repeaterlist, made most used settings, dicked around on the bands getting good reports.
    Got FT-8 and WSJT-X working with both transceivers, made decent distances on the vertical and horizontal 2/70 squalo antenna and vertical.
    Pity 23 cm not used a lot here, but will keep kicking the bucket there maybe getting a bit more action there.
    Long road to go, not even thinking about other digital stuff though set is connected to the internet now.

Ordered GPSDO 0.001ppm accuracy so the 9700 will be on frequency and stay there

New GPSDO 10 Mhz came in with gps mouse, cable already made with 7 dB attenuator, so IC 9700 locked to GPSDO now.
    Nice stable now in digital modes even on 23 cm.

Things changed a bit, went for the Leo Bodnar GPSDO and internal PCB, more stable.
    Today changed antenna to Diamond X 7000 N, climbing a 45 degree tiled roof gets exiting now ;)
    Lots of gain though, mounted with spirit level perfect vertical opening angle on 70 is just 4 or 5 degrees.... let alone 23 cm...
    On 2 meter it is 15 degrees though

Gain on 2 is 6.15 dBd, 70- 9.55 dBd, 23 -11.55 dBd.
    Very low loss coax Ecoflex 15 good results overall.
    Antenna jobs sorted for the winter.