Thread: Back on the air again, again

Back on the air again, again

Just got back on the air after a month. I had to pull my antenna down while we did some boat maintenance but I put it up today and, while I was at it, wired my radio directly to the boat’s house battery instead of using a 60AH LiFePo, which freed up the space on the floor and hid all the cabling.

It all went pretty smoothly — I even found a gap I could use to run the wires down into the engine room so I didn’t have to drill any holes — but when I hit the power button, nothing happened.

A little poking around soon revealed the problem: the house battery is a group of four six volt batteries connected in pairs then wired in series for 12V, which I should have recognized just by looking at them. But I put it down to angering the electron gods with my hubris when I closed up the engine room hatch and turned off the lights before I tested it.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 11-27-2023 at 01:14 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Glad to have you back on the air, 6U.

Good deal Carl. What bands are you good on now?

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Good deal Carl. What bands are you good on now?
    Well, the antenna will tune 160-10m but I don't think it’s very effective below 40m. It’s good on 20m and just kills on 15m. I did a quick test on 15m FT8 at 30W after I got everything together yesterday — one CQ and I made QSOs with three JA stations and a guy on the east coast.

Last edited by NQ6U; 11-23-2023 at 12:24 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

10 and 15 are/were wide open this morning. With the CQWW starting at 0000 Z tonight, should be loads to work this weekend.

Go go have Fun!
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Listening on our 10M hangout frequency, along with the Bowl. Signals on the latter are almost pinning the R-71's S meter.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Listening on our 10M hangout frequency, along with the Bowl. Signals on the latter are almost pinning the R-71's S meter.
    Yeah, the bands are really hot these days. They’re hearing me in Europe on 15m FT8 this morning, which can be difficult to pull off from here on the Left Coast when conditions are not perfect and you’re using a very rudimentary antenna like mine.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 11-27-2023 at 01:08 PM.