Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New antenna on the way

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New antenna on the way

Well I finally broke down and brought a new antenna. My old wire was down and mowed over. I just ordered a 5BTV that I plan on mounting on the chain link fence. I am temporarily unable to get on the roof due to a knee issue that requires some work so a ground mount will have to do. Some new coax to go along with it. Time to clear the desk in the shack and get ready.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Well the Antenna is here and waiting to go up. Hopefully it will like the fence mount but busy right n with Christmas things. I am hoping this thing works well once I get it in place.

some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

A ground mount vertical with good reviews helped. $200 in gift cards from a workplace wellness program participation and a $50 coupon with some cash back on capital one shopping put the 5BTV in my price range. I think after the gift cards and coupon the antenna came in under $50 out of pocket. After my knee gets fixed I may get a new wire or two up but until then I will try this. Now to find the time to get it mounted.

Do yourself a favor: Get the 30M trap (off eBay if you can), convert the thing to a 6BTV and lose both the 40 and 20M spiders.

You'll thank me later.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Do yourself a favor: Get the 30M trap (off eBay if you can), convert the thing to a 6BTV and lose both the 40 and 20M spiders.

You'll thank me later.
    Is there an issue with the spiders? I have always used wires of different layouts and my vertical experience is limited to hamstcicks. I have never used 30 meters so was not really worried about it when I got the 5BTV. now for an interesting question, will a couple hundred hundred feet of chain link fence be enough of a ground plane for it? I can always add radials but was hoping to go without until I got a few dying pines removed.

Elevated radials will let you get away with four. The fence will work IMO, but I wonder how it will skew the pattern. Ground mounted takes the most radials.

Can you mount the btv 10' up on a fence post and string just 4 radials?

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Elevated radials will let you get away with four. The fence will work IMO, but I wonder how it will skew the pattern. Ground mounted takes the most radials.

Can you mount the btv 10' up on a fence post and string just 4 radials?
    I was looking at the top of a 4' fence post for the initial mount. After I get rid of a couple of the dying pines I may move and raise it some but still on the fence

Any way you can pivot a 10' section of mast up against a stout fence post with the antenna attached?

Maybe plant a.4x4.into concrete and attach a pivot of sorts to it
    Last edited by WZ7U; 12-13-2022 at 11:39 PM.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Any way you can pivot a 10' section of mast up against a stout fence post with the antenna attached?

Maybe plant a.4x4.into concrete and attach a pivot of sorts to it
    Probably in the future but not right now. I am still trying to convince the better half we need a tower....