Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New antenna on the way

The main issue with the spiders is dynamic physical force loading.

I've had both versions (5 and 6) in the air at my old QTH. The 6BTV is more survivable in harsh weather conditions - high winds and/or ice accumulation.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I wonder if radial wires would be required over my perfect saltwater ground plane.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    I wonder if radial wires would be required over my perfect saltwater ground plane.
    If near dockside, drive a 12ft corrosion-resistant metal pole into the seabed and mount the antenna a foot or two above the dock boards.

I'd counsel polishing the entire antenna with Collinite Metal Wax or similar on a yearly basis.

There are a bunch of people who use those antennas on freshwater bodies, mounted the same way (w/ no radials). They work well.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    If near dockside, drive a 12ft corrosion-resistant metal pole into the seabed and mount the antenna a foot or two above the dock boards.
    Alas, the dockmaster here would probably have a coronary if I did that. Also, there is the issue of tidal swing, which can be more than 8' between high and low tides here. A pole that places the antenna just above the surface at an average high tide might put the antenna ten feet above the surface or mostly under water during an extreme king tide event.

There are a bunch of people who use those antennas on freshwater bodies, mounted the same way (w/ no radials). They work well.
    I thought that it might be doable — you can't beat salt water for a ground plane. I’d have to come up with some other mounting arrangement, though.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    The main issue with the spiders is dynamic physical force loading.

I've had both versions (5 and 6) in the air at my old QTH. The 6BTV is more survivable in harsh weather conditions - high winds and/or ice accumulation.
    Thanks for the information. I will definitely look into that. Ice is rarely an issue although the wind sometimes can be.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    I thought that it might be doable — you can't beat salt water for a ground plane. I’d have to come up with some other mounting arrangement, though.
    Moored bouy, like Charles hinted at? If I had the permission of the dock owner (or owned the dock) I'd set it atop the highest piling which doesn't get covered by water at high tide then run a couple big straps of corrosion-resistant metal to an anode plate made of same, resting on the sea bed.

Speaking of king tides, we’ve got one coming on Friday. A 9.8 foot (2.98m) swing between high and low tides.

Just to give you an idea of what a king tide swing is like. This is the same ramp at high tide this morning and at low tide a while back.

If I'm not mistaken, I can see Mexico from the first pic. If I didn't know it was Mexico, I'd think it was Africa, out on the Namibian Range. I can almost see the lions, swatting flies with their tails in the shade, waiting on the cover of darkness to seek out their prey.