Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
It was not nearly so wet, and higher. And I did sample the products of a couple of the local brewers while I was there. One was v. good, the other was…an abomination. I couldn’t even finish it.

<snip>
(emphasis mine) Ayep. I know about those of which I considered to be ... an abomination.

You can't really age an IPA but you can a stout or any of the dark varieties. Samuel Adams made a very dark, high ABV, something. I believe the bottles resembled copper vats. It required at LEAST 2 years of aging. If you opened one upon purchase it had the taste of shoe leather with back notes of shoe dye.

Now as far as ''abominations'' go, the IPA crew has done this a lot, A LOT! I asked myself numerous times if the manager at the brewery just said, eh, good enough. Let's make some pretty labels and call it done. At the very least please, stop calling it an IPA and just let the public know ahead of time that this ain't your normal beer. Call it hop wine or fortified nighttime, sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, stuffy head, fever, so you can rest ... drink.