Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Euuuuuw?

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    It was not nearly so wet, and higher. And I did sample the products of a couple of the local brewers while I was there. One was v. good, the other was…an abomination. I couldn’t even finish it.

<snip>
    (emphasis mine) Ayep. I know about those of which I considered to be ... an abomination.

You can't really age an IPA but you can a stout or any of the dark varieties. Samuel Adams made a very dark, high ABV, something. I believe the bottles resembled copper vats. It required at LEAST 2 years of aging. If you opened one upon purchase it had the taste of shoe leather with back notes of shoe dye.

Now as far as ''abominations'' go, the IPA crew has done this a lot, A LOT! I asked myself numerous times if the manager at the brewery just said, eh, good enough. Let's make some pretty labels and call it done. At the very least please, stop calling it an IPA and just let the public know ahead of time that this ain't your normal beer. Call it hop wine or fortified nighttime, sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, stuffy head, fever, so you can rest ... drink.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Double Ewwwwwwww!
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

Quote Originally Posted by koØm View Post
    Don't knock it until you are desperate enough to try it.

Too late! Never again.
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

The thing with an IPA is that it's just easy to make. Just toss in hops or hop powder/concentrate, ferment and there you have it. Alcoholic brew.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    (emphasis mine) Ayep. I know about those of which I considered to be ... an abomination.

You can't really age an IPA but you can a stout or any of the dark varieties. Samuel Adams made a very dark, high ABV, something. I believe the bottles resembled copper vats. It required at LEAST 2 years of aging. If you opened one upon purchase it had the taste of shoe leather with back notes of shoe dye.

Now as far as ''abominations'' go, the IPA crew has done this a lot, A LOT! I asked myself numerous times if the manager at the brewery just said, eh, good enough. Let's make some pretty labels and call it done. At the very least please, stop calling it an IPA and just let the public know ahead of time that this ain't your normal beer. Call it hop wine or fortified nighttime, sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, stuffy head, fever, so you can rest ... drink.
    I believe the Sam Adams you are talking about was the Triple Bock and di need additional aging after purchase. something like 35 to 40% abv. The double bock was good when available but almost as thick as syrup and in a standard bottle. at 14% abv it was mild compared to the triple. You can keep most IPAs, I prefer reds or darker myself although a properly poured black and tan or black and blonde is always a welcome sight.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.