Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Euuuuuw?

Euuuuuw?

You all know that my preference is toward dark beers; Porters and Stouts, last night, all that I had was some "All Day" IPA that I bought for friends visiting. In my opinion, there is not much difference between an "IPA" and, "Wild Pony Piss".

So, I looked in the 'Fridge and all there was, was IPA's!!!

I exhaled deeply and thought to myself, "How can I fix this?"

Easy!

I poured some Hershey's Chocolate syrup into the bottom of a tall glass filled with ice and poured half a can of Beer into it, it went down easy; added the third quarter can into the glass and it was better; dumped the last of the can (no more chocolate syrup added) and it was really good.

Okay, just go ahead and say it, "Euuw"!

tOwvRCLJ_400x400.jpg

I was doing the IPA game for almost 3 years before I said, enough. Some IPA's can be refreshing but a lot of them are overkill, plain garbage and that's a sad thing to say. Once you start to approach that 7% ABV mark, the flavor just isn't enjoyable anymore. You can't take a big gulp of it if you're thirsty and often times these IPA's are just downright salty!

What I did, since I wanted refreshment, enjoyability and the option to just glug down a couple of big swallows was this: 30 oz insulated steel mug, club soda and an average ABV IPA and toss them all in the freezer together for 20 minutes.
    Then I would take them out and pour the club soda in the steel mug first, followed by slowly pouring in the IPA. This was good. It even made some of the high ABV almost enjoyable.

I'm back to my roots though and I never buy IPA's any more. I like light lagers and heavy stouts. A pilsner or two as long as it doesn't come from an IPA factory.
    Last edited by KG4CGC; 11-12-2022 at 11:29 AM. Reason: because I write f words

Wimps.

Give me all the hoppy, high ABV IPAs you got, I’ll drink ’em.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

So his pee is closer to the source?

Mine only has about 70' to go down, but 35 miles till the sands start
    Last edited by WZ7U; 11-12-2022 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Because I forget shi, er, stuff

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    So his pee is closer to the source?

<snip>
    I was referencing his proximity to oxygen rich air vs living in a thinner atmosphere. When you're that close to oxygen rich air for most of your days, you will struggle when visiting the mountains for a walk.

Sea dwellers. Peg legs. Scurvy rats. Alcohol has a more profound effect in the higher altitudes if you are not used to the thinner air.

I once watched a group on television get helicoptered to a snow covered mountain top. As they all got out of the airship, one woman lit up a cigarette and passed out after two draws.
    Last edited by KG4CGC; 11-12-2022 at 04:26 PM. Reason: referenced a past tense event

I noticed on my trip to Wisconsin in 2003 that the air is different, thinner and the altitude was only 800 feet. My conclusion was, after very little research, is that oxygen levels al decrease the further north and south you are from the equator.
    Air flow patterns probably play into this as they get their wind from the Pacific after it has passed over 2/3rds of the country. In my location the air currents bring the air in from both the Gulf and the Atlantic. At an average of 1100' in the Piedmont/Foothills where I live, our air is noticeably richer vs Madison Wis.

I would say that even at 2500' it is still richer. I don't notice much difference until I get on the high points of the Blue Ridge Parkway and do some hiking. I think the plethora of oxygen producing foliage helps out a lot in that respect.

Ah, I see where you're going.

Yeah, when I lived in CO it was nothing to go up in the mountains and be used to the thin air, not think twice about it. Flatlander relatives would visit and sometimes they would get a little blue in the gills climbing around exerting. My smoking was starting to be an issue then moved here to sea-level and it was a big do over. Went another decade before it became an issue again. Something to be said for having dense enough atmosphere. Never did any testing to see how alcohol and elevation relate, at least that I can remember. Toking, that's a whole nuther thing
    Last edited by WZ7U; 11-13-2022 at 12:20 AM.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I have the impression that the description "IPA" has been wrongly used for some time.
    It is in fact "India Pale Ale" and was used in Britain to export beer to India and other colonies before the advent of refrigeration. Brewers would fully ferment the ale so as to leave very little sugar content thereby reducing re-fermentation. Adding quite a few hops also helped preservation.
    The result was a pale beer of not more than 4% gravity, today I see UK brewers selling IPA with ridiculously high alcohol content so they are really "barley wine" and not suited to a summer "session" with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    I was referencing his proximity to oxygen rich air vs living in a thinner atmosphere. When you're that close to oxygen rich air for most of your days, you will struggle when visiting the mountains for a walk.
    Just last month I walked for miles around the Grand Canyon at an elevation above 7000’. I don’t think living at sea level has anything to do with my appreciation for a nice hoppy IPA.