Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TBDXC

This reminds me of why I swore to never join an amateur radio club ever again. Actually, not just ham radio clubs but any other sort of club.

Someone tried to get me to join a yacht club once and I told him that the very idea gave me hives. When it comes to internal politics, that crowd makes the ARC clowns look like a swell bunch of reasonable fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    I thought the "True Blue" part smacked of trumpism attitude.

A psk31 pox on all their equipment.
    Nah. They're UK based.

I initially thought the "attitude" was just for show, just having a little fun with it. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more...

OK. If the organizers of this group are serious about sticking their noses in the air, their thumbs up their butts, and strutting around like the well to do on Park Avenue... I'm not interesting in Putting on the Ritz. I'm done with them.

Thought it would be fun. Guess not. Pity.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    This reminds me of why I swore to never join an amateur radio club ever again. Actually, not just ham radio clubs but any other sort of club.

Someone tried to get me to join a yacht club once and I told him that the very idea gave me hives. When it comes to internal politics, that crowd makes the ARC clowns look like a swell bunch of reasonable fellas.
    Going forward, just politely tell them that when it comes to joining organizations, you adhere to the immortal words of Marx.

No, not Karl Marx. Groucho Marx.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 2K!!

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    The email:
    -----------
    Dear TBDXC members,

With considerable unease, we have to raise again on an issue which is guaranteed to create much controversy. We don’t like controversy, but we need to be honest with ourselves and, especially, with our membership.

The issue is that an increasing number of TBDXC members are very much active on FT8/FT4, and this is against the ethos of the Club as explained in the “join” section of the TBDXC website:

“Membership of the TBDXC entails your personal commitment to pursuing and promoting DXing specifically as a form of person-to-person amateur radio activity involving the use of radiotelegraphy (CW) or radiotelephony (SSB).

Therefore, if you enjoy FT8, or you use it ‘because there is nothing else’, or to work a new one ‘no matter how - just as long as I put it in the log’, we wish you all the very best in your ham radio activity, but the TBDXC is not the Club for you.”
    We therefore want to rephrase once more the key concepts, and to point out a couple of things which we thought were explicitly clear, but perhaps weren’t.

First, the TBDXC is a free association of like-minded people. It has no membership fees, and not even a formal membership, as it does not give members special status, rights or obligations.

Second, the TBDXC is a lose, informal association. It is not even, strictly speaking, an organisation – it has no governance, no formal management structure. The few decisions which are needed are taken by consensus among the very few individuals who help keep the initiative alive.

Third – going back to the essential point – the TBDXC is an association of people who like certain things, and do not like other things. Specifically, and critically, we like forms of amateur radio in which information is exchanged between humans and we do not like exchanging information between computers.

Fourth, the TBDXC as a Club is not “against” FT8. This has been said and repeated many times, but, yet again, this essential point is often misunderstood or ignored. Never, for example, we have taken a position on the inclusion of FT8 contacts in the mixed mode DXCC, or on the validity of DXpedition operations run by computers unattended by humans. Many members feel strongly about these issues, but these are their own opinions and not the Club’s. Not liking an activity means not engaging in it - it does not mean trying to ban it, or to prevent others from engaging in it.

We therefore have the unpleasant duty of appealing again to those current TBDXC members who are active on digital modes to consider resigning from the Club. We will never “police” our membership, nor we will ever point fingers at individuals. Can we please simply agree that there was a misunderstanding about what the TBDXC is, or that personal likes and dislikes have changed over time. This is perfectly acceptable and nobody will be thought less of for deciding to leave the Club. We simply want the TBDXC to be what it was intended to be: a free, lose, informal association of people who like SSB and CW, and do not like – and therefore are not active on – digital modes.

Kindly write to us at club@tbdxc.net – and, please, kindly be kind.
    show-me-on-the-doll-where-the-ft8-touched-you.jpg
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

One of the locals has been licensed for less than 3 years (General Class).

He just got 9BDXCC via FT8 a week or two ago. That is, everything from 160-10 with the exception of 60M. It, 6 and 2 are next on his hit list.

The mode is a huge draw for a number of people who otherwise wouldn't have gotten into amateur radio in the first place. I'd tell the officers of said "club" to stuff it.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I was a little politer about it, but... I did.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 2K!!

"I don't want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members."
    -Groucho Marx
    Stay healthy my friends.

It amazes me how this hobby attracts a certain, type, of people.

I never took AR to be a haven for the mentally ill authoritarian meatbeating types, I suppose that's why we're here, to evade such nuttery.

Of course I am including myself in the mentally ill rank. Hurr duh durrr.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    It amazes me how this hobby attracts a certain, type, of people.

I never took AR to be a haven for the mentally ill authoritarian meatbeating types, I suppose that's why we're here, to evade such nuttery.

Of course I am including myself in the mentally ill rank. Hurr duh durrr.
    That's all groups. When you pile people together in a room, there's always one or two who want to tell all the others what to do and how to do it, unsolicited. Sometimes they can be quite nasty. Then you have the some of the others, let's call them "undecided voters", who want to hear what the nasty ones have to say. As if they didn't already make their intentions clear. That's how the grift gets its roots embedded.
    There is one ARC in particular around here that I refer to as cultish.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    There is one ARC in particular around here that I refer to as cultish.
    And this, Gentle Readers, is why so many area repeaters went un-funded and were shut down. Those of us who were tired of...shenanigans...and just wanted to talk to our buddies on VHF and UHF poured a pretty decent amount of coin into our simplex setups, away from that bullspit.

Several repeaters around here are independently owned and open to everyone. We support them - either with parts, funds or assistance doing equipment and tower work.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."