Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The CA Department of Motor Vehicles is Hell on Earth

California DMV finally did something right for a change. They eliminated the re-testing requirement for drivers over age 70. Now it will be base on the individual's driving record. We still have to go in to get an up-to-date picture and vision test, so there's still that inconvenience.

As far as the RealID is concerned, I've been told repeatedly by TSA that if you have a government issued ID of some other sort, you don't need the enhanced driver's license. These include a passport, passport card, military or DOD id, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by K6CPO View Post
    California DMV finally did something right for a change. They eliminated the re-testing requirement for drivers over age 70. Now it will be base on the individual's driving record. We still have to go in to get an up-to-date picture and vision test, so there's still that inconvenience.

As far as the RealID is concerned, I've been told repeatedly by TSA that if you have a government issued ID of some other sort, you don't need the enhanced driver's license. These include a passport, passport card, military or DOD id, etc.
    True. I work for the feds and one of my coworkers got all in a tissy because I don't have or will ever get a real ID. We travel sometimes and he was all worried about not getting past TSA without Real ID. I told him to go back and read the documentation requirements to fly or access federal buildings. The real ID states, passport, military ID, and any number of other documents. So why pay for a real ID?
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

because once realid has significant penetration most of those other options will go away. the point of having one true ID thing is that they only have to care about these (and passports, which preserves the fiction that nobody is being discriminated against).

that said, realid is a pain in the ass... and it's security theater. at this point I have two (possibly three... I don't know if my global entry card counts as a realid) but i can absolutely see how getting a realid could be difficult for someone.
    Last edited by n6hcm; Yesterday at 08:45 PM.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

I just flash my ham radio badge.