Thread: Collapsed Tower

Collapsed Tower

In mid-Wales the remains of the tower with various antennas, some commercial for the local water company and 3 for the 6m, 2m and 70cm repeaters. After the last (third) winter storm it collapsed entirely. GB3ZW, GB3PW and GB3CW are back in business with a 10m pole on the equipment hut. They cover a very wide hilly area.

PICT0322.jpg Collapsed tower 1.jpg Collapsed tower 2.jpg

It’s interesting to see how little material it takes to build a tower that tall. That’s a surprisingly small debris pile.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

There were 6 stainless steel guy ropes and the entire had been up for nearly 4 decades. Perhaps that was the problem. I expect the owner could claim on the insurance, including the fence which needed replacing anyway. It proves the severity of the storms especially 3 in a row.

Stainless steel depending on what quality, 304 or 316 gets brittle over time.
    STill sad to see though hope the insurance pays out ;)
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    Stainless steel depending on what quality, 304 or 316 gets brittle over time.
    I can attest to that. This picture is of the chainplate for my starboard forward lower shroud that snapped one day when I was sailing in only moderate winds. It sounded like a gunshot. Hydrogen embrittlement and crevice corrosion was the cause.

(A chainplate is the thing that connects the cables that hold up the mast to the hull of the boat. I was lucky it was only a lower shroud; if it had been one of the two upper shrouds my boat could have been dismasted)
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I'm going to be putting up a couple in the next few years. 70' of Rohn 45 (primarily for VHF/UHF yagis, a vertically polarized 10M yagi and a few wires) and 80 of Rohn 55 (which will support the HF Big Log, a 6M yagi and more wires). I hope the things outlast me.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    I can attest to that. This picture is of the chainplate for my starboard forward lower shroud that snapped one day when I was sailing in only moderate winds. It sounded like a gunshot. Hydrogen embrittlement and crevice corrosion was the cause.

(A chainplate is the thing that connects the cables that hold up the mast to the hull of the boat. I was lucky it was only a lower shroud; if it had been one of the two upper shrouds my boat could have been dismasted)
    It's not entirely relevant but we relegated some Chinese S.S. cutlery to the garden shed as it's rusted as badly as plain steel. It leads me to think that many of these use recycled material of dubious quality.

Sincerely, good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by HUGH View Post
    It's not entirely relevant but we relegated some Chinese S.S. cutlery to the garden shed as it's rusted as badly as plain steel. It leads me to think that many of these use recycled material of dubious quality.
    Yes, I’ve seen some crappy Chinese stainless too, but that’s not the case here, just 42 years of use in a salt water environment. Besides, back when my boat was built, the Chinese were still stinkin’ commie rat bastards and we didn’t buy anything from them.

It’s long since been replaced; I was out sailing my boat today, as a matter of fact.