Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: So, Motorcycles

I sold my old Beemer over 30 years ago after too many close encounters with clueless cage drivers. I still miss it sometimes, though.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by K4PIH View Post
    Modern motorcycle instruments are looking more and more like fighter jet cockpits. Way nice!

I quit riding some years ago, but owned almost every brand of motorcycle known to man. Last one I rode was a KZ1000.
    Interesting observation regarding bikes and jets. I've taught a lot of beginning riders over the years, and my counsel has always been "Ride the bike like you're flying a jet". This is particularly true with sport bikes, sport tourers and the like:

• Speed is Life, as maneuverability options decrease along with velocity
    • Everything near your space is an existential threat. Prepare and pro-act/react accordingly
    • Get in the habit of scanning your road (air) space automatically. Sweep your eyes to the gauges, your horizon, the mirrors and back to the horizon.
    • For those with onboard electronics: Ride (aviate), position (navigate) and play with the radios (communicate) in that order.

Many of the ham crowd are flummoxed at the idea of a motorcyclist being able to safely operate two-way gear while underway, yet (as you inferred) a fighter pilot has a far more complex environment in which to operate yet manages to successfully complete missions. The secret? TRAINING and PRACTICE.

With regards to the bolded: I've had KZ- series motorcycles to wet-noodle speeds a number of times. That is, the chassis feels like a collection of wet noodles if the bikes are hammered hard into turns. From 1978-1980, an outfit was retrofitting a Rajay turbocharger to the Z1R series and selling it as a "Z1R-TC". A couple magazine articles reviewed the conversions and remarked on the acceleration.

Fast forward to 2008. On its introduction, the Concours 14 put more horsepower and torque to the rear tire across the entire power band than the 'TC did...and it actually handles and stops well. I've never been able to make either of mine feel "squishy", no matter the speed or lean angles at which I've ridden them.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    I sold my old Beemer over 30 years ago after too many close encounters with clueless cage drivers. I still miss it sometimes, though.
    Which model, Carl?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Interesting observation regarding bikes and jets. I've taught a lot of beginning riders over the years, and my counsel has always been "Ride the bike like you're flying a jet". This is particularly true with sport bikes, sport tourers and the like:

• Speed is Life, as maneuverability options decrease along with velocity
    • Everything near your space is an existential threat. Prepare and pro-act/react accordingly
    • Get in the habit of scanning your road (air) space automatically. Sweep your eyes to the gauges, your horizon, the mirrors and back to the horizon.
    • For those with onboard electronics: Ride (aviate), position (navigate) and play with the radios (communicate) in that order.

Many of the ham crowd are flummoxed at the idea of a motorcyclist being able to safely operate two-way gear while underway, yet (as you inferred) a fighter pilot has a far more complex environment in which to operate yet manages to successfully complete missions. The secret? TRAINING and PRACTICE.

With regards to the bolded: I've had KZ- series motorcycles to wet-noodle speeds a number of times. That is, the chassis feels like a collection of wet noodles if the bikes are hammered hard into turns. From 1978-1980, an outfit was retrofitting a Rajay turbocharger to the Z1R series and selling it as a "Z1R-TC". A couple magazine articles reviewed the conversions and remarked on the acceleration.

Fast forward to 2008. On its introduction, the Concours 14 put more horsepower and torque to the rear tire across the entire power band than the 'TC did...and it actually handles and stops well. I've never been able to make either of mine feel "squishy", no matter the speed or lean angles at which I've ridden them.
    4 excellent points on motorcycle riding! the KZ I had was gifted to me by a coworker who's father had owned it and then passed due to cancer. It sat for a long time in a storage facility. Rode it for a while after getting it running again but too much real work and $$ to make it a dependable ride. Donated it to a shop that teaches kids how to fix things.
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Which model, Carl?
    1968 R-60. Don’t have any photos of it but it looked pretty much like (a less clean verson of) this one:

All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I gave up on being in the wind from idiot cagers sharing the road. Saw my long time bud get turned into and nearly ran over right in front of me (full stop) and that's the final straw for me. Although I did get a bucket list item checked off last year, same friend let me ride his Harley down the long drive and back. Couldn't bring myself to get out on the road with it. Last bike I owned was an 83 Kaw 750.

While it's a bummer not being in the wind, I know my skillset is weak in that regard these days. I have wound down on my aggressive driving much the last couple years because I can tell my shit isn't the tight coil it used to be. Uh oh, am I getting all responsible and shit?

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Last bike I owned was an 83 Kaw 750.
    750 Spectre, I presume?

Close. Very close.
    750 LTD. It was purple and had chrome in place of the spectres black and the seat was different. Shaft drive was a new experience for me. Im pretty sure it was an '83, but I bought it in 88 or 89 IIRC. I enjoyed the shit outta that bike, right up until I didn't.

Holy crap its been a while. Found a picture on the web. Mine was the same except for the combination back rest/luggage rack. Added saddle bags and I was in high cotton with that ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WZ7U; 05-19-2022 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Additional recall

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I loved the Spectres when they were introduced. Saw my first one "live" - the 1100- in the spring of '83 while out with a friend and his family (we both rode).

Fast-forward to the late 90s: I lived in a township near Canton, and one of the routes in and out of the place featured a house with a forlorn 1100 parked in its front yard. The bike sat there for years, wasting away.

I've also attended a lot of vintage rallies and cruise-ins since then. The number of Spectres of both displacements I've seen at all events combined could be counted on one hand. Likewise, Yamaha's competitive offering - 1100 Midnight Special. A local dealer frequently sold Specials off their floor, but where they ended up is anyone's guess.