Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So, Motorcycles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Far out brother!

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Does that last one actually go anywhere?
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

I bet it does, as the "patina" is a current trend in restoring things vehicular.

Motorcycles make a great subject.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Dayum, I haven't seen a Beesa in ages! The old Rahway NJ PD bikes were Harleys, then they were sold to the Pagans and were ever so nicely chopped. Mouse got the Meter Patrol trike, the box made a nice travel trunk, and couldn't tip over, the little guy couldn't right a 1500cc Electraglide by himself. How I got befriended by them is a story too long for here, but it was a sad day in Mudville when they went One Toke Over The Line and got run out of town by the very PD that sold them the bikes. Anyone who's seen that corny Adam 12 ripoff CHiPs knows the CHP rode (and maybe still does ride) Cows... Kawasaki bikes with Motorola low band radios. KMA365 is the real and forever callsign of the LAPD. That being said, let's see what you Charles can do with this CHiP chop.

CHiP Chop.jpg

Then there are the classics, rather expensive collector's items owned by my friend Jack WA2V (SK) I was proud to be seen in. The one that rattled my teeth was the Robin's Egg Blue 1963 Corvette split window coupe with a removable hard top. Under the hood was a 350 high compression mill coupled with a Hurst 4 speed transmission, the fabled LT-10 package. I rather hated the teeth rattling stiff suspension, and the one embarrassment, the main electrical connection to the engine using a big Molex connector that vibrated apart and killed the whole electrical system and the engine with it. Funny it was the only car I'd seen that didn't have a hard wired harness. Saving the best for last, the other classic was a Lime Green old school 1963 Harley Sportster semi chopped with a not too raked Springer (not Jerry Springer) fork. It had an interesting no mufflers mufflers, tuned pipes that sounded great, not loud but great. Sisters often don't know the value of things, I can only hope they're restored and well taken care of like Neil Young's first car.

Last edited by kb2vxa; 10-18-2021 at 08:22 AM.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

I'm not going to do anything with the CHiP chop. It's not even my image to do anything to.

But you plastered stickers on the windscreen of a police bike...............
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

I have the radio box, rear crash guards, fender support, seat and master cylinder switches from one of these (former DPS 2nd-gen Concours 14):

img_BMTxBzg5zVQvTx7_r.jpg

A few companies made police-motor stuff for the Concours 14 before a big brouhaha with Kawasaki over the auxiliary battery setup (which powered the lights, radio and siren) effectively squashed their OEM C14P program. I have a wiring harness from one of the bikes (with original Kawi P/N) that they refuse to acknowledge as even existing - yet you can still order the thing from parts distributors.

The OEM accessory configuration would result in the bike's 30A main fuse blowing if the auxiliary battery was allowed to discharge to a point where its charging draw plus the normal ("hotel") loading of the bike's electrical system exceeded the rated fuse current. This was easy to do if the engine was shut off during an extended stop and the lights, radio and other police-specific accessories were kept on. For this reason, Kawasaki shelved the program.

I believe I've solved the two-battery problem. My conversion project will be to put all the LE-specific stuff (including red running lights, red auxiliary brake lights and yellow auxiliary turn signals) back on the trunk, with a switch up front to control the running lights (which are steady-burn). An IC-703+, FTM-10R and a diplexer go in the trunk. Headset audio integration is handled by a MotoChello MC-200 and a Sena SR10 (for Bluetooth). The two radios are 10w and 20w out (respectively) and will be powered by the auxiliary battery - which charges via the main circuit via a smart relay. A fuse inline with the charge line will open at 10A and this should protect the main fuse, though I doubt in normal use the auxiliary battery (a 12v, 16A lithium unit) will ever become discharged to the point it's a concern. I also plan to carry a charger for the auxiliary battery if going portable and operating HF from a camp ground.

Pics of the setup as I build it. Lots of custom cabling to be constructed and tested - that's where I am at the moment, with much of the bodywork removed from the bike.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    I have the radio box, rear crash guards, fender support, seat and master cylinder switches from one of these (former DPS 2nd-gen Concours 14):

img_BMTxBzg5zVQvTx7_r.jpg

A few companies made police-motor stuff for the Concours 14 before a big brouhaha with Kawasaki over the auxiliary battery setup (which powered the lights, radio and siren) effectively squashed their OEM C14P program. I have a wiring harness from one of the bikes (with original Kawi P/N) that they refuse to acknowledge as even existing - yet you can still order the thing from parts distributors.

The OEM accessory configuration would result in the bike's 30A main fuse blowing if the auxiliary battery was allowed to discharge to a point where its charging draw plus the normal ("hotel") loading of the bike's electrical system exceeded the rated fuse current. This was easy to do if the engine was shut off during an extended stop and the lights, radio and other police-specific accessories were kept on. For this reason, Kawasaki shelved the program.

I believe I've solved the two-battery problem. My conversion project will be to put all the LE-specific stuff (including red running lights, red auxiliary brake lights and yellow auxiliary turn signals) back on the trunk, with a switch up front to control the running lights (which are steady-burn). An IC-703+, FTM-10R and a diplexer go in the trunk. Headset audio integration is handled by a MotoChello MC-200 and a Sena SR10 (for Bluetooth). The two radios are 10w and 20w out (respectively) and will be powered by the auxiliary battery - which charges via the main circuit via a smart relay. A fuse inline with the charge line will open at 10A and this should protect the main fuse, though I doubt in normal use the auxiliary battery (a 12v, 16A lithium unit) will ever become discharged to the point it's a concern. I also plan to carry a charger for the auxiliary battery if going portable and operating HF from a camp ground.

Pics of the setup as I build it. Lots of custom cabling to be constructed and tested - that's where I am at the moment, with much of the bodywork removed from the bike.
    Those 1400 Connies are some very nice bikes. I literally never hear a bad thing about them except from short people. That's me. I'm a short people but I have nothing bad to say about them except I wish I could ride one of those beasts confidently. Rolling wouldn't be the problem.