Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: So, Motorcycles

There he is!

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I'd have to dig around for it, Charles...but there's a similar photo from Mid Ohio Vintage Motorcycle Days somewhere on my phone.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    I'd have to dig around for it, Charles...but there's a similar photo from Mid Ohio Vintage Motorcycle Days somewhere on my phone.
    Very cool. I'd like to see it. Those old BMW's were a work of art.

Not an artwork post per se, but I put my CAD skills to work over the last couple months and designed a few things for the ongoing Concours 14 project. This is the bike which is getting an IC-703+ and an FTM-10R in a re-purposed Police Motor top box. I've also re-used a number of police-bike-specific parts on this project, including clutch/brake master cylinder clamps which incorporate brackets for the various push button switches that the two radios will use for things like tuning and PTT.

The art comes into play when you design things that are aesthetically pleasing - a term I use often is "making a part look like it grew there". This becomes challenging when you're designing a multi-function piece. Long hours of skull work are involved.

Several sets of bracket cutouts are at the laser cutters, along with a license plate frame that incorporates a pair of Whelen running lights and a helmet lock. Pics of this stuff when it's back from the powder coaters.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Follow-up to the above. This is what's currently going on in my drive/garage:

20220514_163716.jpg

The other side of the bars. There be a lot of switches here.

20220516_103102.jpg

Buttons closest to the grip are for FTM-10R and IC-703+ PTT, respectively. To the right of the silver Otto P3-series switch are two push buttons, used to select frequency or memory channel Up/Down for the FTM-10R. The three remaining push buttons (from top) are IC-703+ Function Lock (red), FTM-10R VFO/Mem (black) and FTM-10R Band/Input/Function selection (red).

The two switches on the right side bar are IC-703+ Frequency/Mem Up/Down. Their mode is determined by the "Lock" button on the Icom's control head, which is itself a separate function from the bar-mounted "Lock" button.

I had to to a lot of design and development work on the control interface circuits to make this work. Schematics and details will be published on the IC-703, FTM-10 Groups.io groups and with the various parts/hardware vendors for those wishing to use the concepts on their own bikes.

Modern motorcycle instruments are looking more and more like fighter jet cockpits. Way nice!

I quit riding some years ago, but owned almost every brand of motorcycle known to man. Last one I rode was a KZ1000.
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"