Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
I have the radio box, rear crash guards, fender support, seat and master cylinder switches from one of these (former DPS 2nd-gen Concours 14):

img_BMTxBzg5zVQvTx7_r.jpg

A few companies made police-motor stuff for the Concours 14 before a big brouhaha with Kawasaki over the auxiliary battery setup (which powered the lights, radio and siren) effectively squashed their OEM C14P program. I have a wiring harness from one of the bikes (with original Kawi P/N) that they refuse to acknowledge as even existing - yet you can still order the thing from parts distributors.

The OEM accessory configuration would result in the bike's 30A main fuse blowing if the auxiliary battery was allowed to discharge to a point where its charging draw plus the normal ("hotel") loading of the bike's electrical system exceeded the rated fuse current. This was easy to do if the engine was shut off during an extended stop and the lights, radio and other police-specific accessories were kept on. For this reason, Kawasaki shelved the program.

I believe I've solved the two-battery problem. My conversion project will be to put all the LE-specific stuff (including red running lights, red auxiliary brake lights and yellow auxiliary turn signals) back on the trunk, with a switch up front to control the running lights (which are steady-burn). An IC-703+, FTM-10R and a diplexer go in the trunk. Headset audio integration is handled by a MotoChello MC-200 and a Sena SR10 (for Bluetooth). The two radios are 10w and 20w out (respectively) and will be powered by the auxiliary battery - which charges via the main circuit via a smart relay. A fuse inline with the charge line will open at 10A and this should protect the main fuse, though I doubt in normal use the auxiliary battery (a 12v, 16A lithium unit) will ever become discharged to the point it's a concern. I also plan to carry a charger for the auxiliary battery if going portable and operating HF from a camp ground.

Pics of the setup as I build it. Lots of custom cabling to be constructed and tested - that's where I am at the moment, with much of the bodywork removed from the bike.
Those 1400 Connies are some very nice bikes. I literally never hear a bad thing about them except from short people. That's me. I'm a short people but I have nothing bad to say about them except I wish I could ride one of those beasts confidently. Rolling wouldn't be the problem.