Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So, Motorcycles

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    I have the radio box, rear crash guards, fender support, seat and master cylinder switches from one of these (former DPS 2nd-gen Concours 14):

Attachment 17722

A few companies made police-motor stuff for the Concours 14 before a big brouhaha with Kawasaki over the auxiliary battery setup (which powered the lights, radio and siren) effectively squashed their OEM C14P program. I have a wiring harness from one of the bikes (with original Kawi P/N) that they refuse to acknowledge as even existing - yet you can still order the thing from parts distributors.

The OEM accessory configuration would result in the bike's 30A main fuse blowing if the auxiliary battery was allowed to discharge to a point where its charging draw plus the normal ("hotel") loading of the bike's electrical system exceeded the rated fuse current. This was easy to do if the engine was shut off during an extended stop and the lights, radio and other police-specific accessories were kept on. For this reason, Kawasaki shelved the program.

I believe I've solved the two-battery problem. My conversion project will be to put all the LE-specific stuff (including red running lights, red auxiliary brake lights and yellow auxiliary turn signals) back on the trunk, with a switch up front to control the running lights (which are steady-burn). An IC-703+, FTM-10R and a diplexer go in the trunk. Headset audio integration is handled by a MotoChello MC-200 and a Sena SR10 (for Bluetooth). The two radios are 10w and 20w out (respectively) and will be powered by the auxiliary battery - which charges via the main circuit via a smart relay. A fuse inline with the charge line will open at 10A and this should protect the main fuse, though I doubt in normal use the auxiliary battery (a 12v, 16A lithium unit) will ever become discharged to the point it's a concern. I also plan to carry a charger for the auxiliary battery if going portable and operating HF from a camp ground.

Pics of the setup as I build it. Lots of custom cabling to be constructed and tested - that's where I am at the moment, with much of the bodywork removed from the bike.
    Those 1400 Connies are some very nice bikes. I literally never hear a bad thing about them except from short people. That's me. I'm a short people but I have nothing bad to say about them except I wish I could ride one of those beasts confidently. Rolling wouldn't be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    But you plastered stickers on the windscreen of a police bike...............
    The late husband of a ham buddy of mine - I met both of them through packet radio many years ago - used to get a lot of flak from various car-meet attendees over what he did with their GTOs. "But MY name's on the titles, see?"

As far as motorcycles go - in the words of the late Rutger Hauer:

While wandering the various area swap meets and ride-ins, I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. And I'm NOT talking about a pair of flap-jack tits on some topless old hatchet-faced Harley babe.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Nary a ham op badge to be seen.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Time to save this one:

All three bikes are/were owned by hams. From left to right, Steve's (AC6EA/W6VM) '97 Valkyrie Standard, KD8DSG's '99 Valkyrie Tourer and my first Valkyrie Interstate, an '00:

Dam1.jpg

Only the Tourer remains. Steve can't ride much due to a double hip replacement (although he and KE6FIL ride Burgman scooters), I sold the I/S to finance another bike project and modified the Tourer to be my main cruiser for traveling.

I miss my motorcycle buddies. If anyone has their Journey album 'Escape' handy, please queue up "Still They Ride". I'm that guy.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Time to save this one:

All three bikes are/were owned by hams. From left to right, Steve's (AC6EA/W6VM) '97 Valkyrie Standard, KD8DSG's '99 Valkyrie Tourer and my first Valkyrie Interstate, an '00:

Dam1.jpg

Only the Tourer remains. Steve can't ride much due to a double hip replacement (although he and KE6FIL ride Burgman scooters), I sold the I/S to finance another bike project and modified the Tourer to be my main cruiser for traveling.

I miss my motorcycle buddies. If anyone has their Journey album 'Escape' handy, please queue up "Still They Ride". I'm that guy.
    I have that LP somewhere. Have to adjust the speed a little on the turntable first. It is running a little fast.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2crk View Post
    I have that LP somewhere. Have to adjust the speed a little on the turntable first. It is running a little fast.
    The older you get, the faster the record plays.

Time to save this one:

Dam1.jpg

You will NEVER catch me on one of those... too much of a chicken... but you don’t have to ride to appreciate those machines, even tho a rider will appreciate them more.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    You will NEVER catch me on one of those... too much of a chicken... but you don’t have to ride to appreciate those machines, even tho a rider will appreciate them more.
    I appreciate that they're "Harlified Goldwings." Nothing wrong with that. Good looking. Dependable.
    Just change the oil and put gas in it. Until you have to take it for dealer service, then you'll appreciate what you just paid to have your Honda car or van dealer serviced. Again, don't get me wrong. If you're getting your Harley dealer serviced, you're paying for the gold plated wrenches the mechanic owns and uses.

A lot of Youtubers went to a Harley factory event out West to test ride and review the new Sportster. They all agreed that it's a great bike. Handles well, has more power and uses modern parts and more modern manufacturing resulting in a more dependable, better riding, better feeling bike as well as modernized retro classic looks. Not bad pricing either considering I'd expect a new Harley, with all new factory assemble to run into the upper teens in thousands of dollars but the most basic base model starts out at around $9500. The Sportster S will be available in fall 2021 with a starting price of $15,000 and includes the 1250T engine.

Better than I could do, read more here: https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/202...14-fast-facts/

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    The Chopper Gang often puts the lever down by the transmission/oil tank. Jockey shift.