Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Things You Did As A Kid

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Coming home from school (9th grade) and watching M*A*S*H from 3:30 to 4:30 every afternoon.
    Speaking of which, I'm on season 3 on Hulu.

I still can't get enough of The Three Stooges Columbia shorts. Unfortunately the movies with "Curly" Joe Di Rita suck like a Hoover and The Three Stooges The Movie that starts with them as kids in an orphanage is as lame as a three legged dog. I don't remember the name of the movie about their career but it's very good, so is the one about Laurel and Hardy, another of my favorite comedy teams. I remember well how my mother freaked out when she saw us doing one of their routines, didn't every kid play like a Stooge? No problem really, while she was chewing me out I suddenly gave her the eye poke, she jumped back, and I told her "There, that's how it's done, nobody gets hurt, now stop worrying.". That took care of that until she bopped me on the head, then our house had at least two Stooges.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

I think I actually slid down a grassy hill on a piece of cardboard when I was 6.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Coming home from school (9th grade) and watching M*A*S*H from 3:30 to 4:30 every afternoon.
    Speaking of which, I'm on season 3 on Hulu.
    My high-school-years ham station started out as an HQ-100AC and a GSB-100. I built interfacing equipment to engage the transmitter's power when the receiver's clock timer turned the receiver on. I'd set them to activate 15 minutes before I hit the door (which was almost always 3:30) and everything would be warmed up enough to jump on the bands and go.

All that came to an end in April of my senior year, when I traded the entire lineup for a TS-520S. Suddenly, instant-on (comparatively speaking) intercontinental DX was at my fingertips.
    Last edited by N8YX; 10-14-2021 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Grammar
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by K4PIH View Post
    Launch model rockets with no guide rail to see which way they would go. Built one into a PVC tube like a bazooka!
    Did that as well. Used to go to one of the local stores and buy bottles of black powder and pack them full. We also used to make pipe bombs. Still amazed that I never blew myself up.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

Pipe bombs, I made one and only ONE, the stupidest thing I ever did. A friend and I put it in the street in front of his house, lit the fuse and hid behind the house. Oh shit, here comes a car... no boom. <whew> Uh oh, the fuse must have gone out, no way were we going out there. About 5 minutes later BOOM! We looked and saw a big hole in the pavement, thank goodness it didn't go off under that car! As we were at the kitchen table having a snack we got our just deserts, (sic) his brother came home and drenched us with the garden hose through the open window. Then it was mad scramble with the mop and bucket before his parents showed up.

Then there was the second stupidest thing, a small fire out in the woods with a propane cylinder in it. We were smart enough to retreat to a safe distance avoiding shrapnel, dumb enough to not foresee what happened when the the thing exploded, burning twigs flying in every direction starting more fires that quickly got out of control. We high tailed it out of there before the FD showed up, and made solemn vows no more bombs of ANY sort. Back to home made rockets launched from my back yard ignited electrically while we were safely in my room watching out the window because occasionally one exploded on the launch pad like NASA's attempts to catch up to the Russians. I shot a rocket in the air, where it landed I know not where..............***
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Pipe bombs, I made one and only ONE, the stupidest thing I ever did. A friend and I put it in the street in front of his house, lit the fuse and hid behind the house. Oh shit, here comes a car... no boom. <whew> Uh oh, the fuse must have gone out, no way were we going out there. About 5 minutes later BOOM! We looked and saw a big hole in the pavement, thank goodness it didn't go off under that car! As we were at the kitchen table having a snack we got our just deserts, (sic) his brother came home and drenched us with the garden hose through the open window. Then it was mad scramble with the mop and bucket before his parents showed up.

Then there was the second stupidest thing, a small fire out in the woods with a propane cylinder in it. We were smart enough to retreat to a safe distance avoiding shrapnel, dumb enough to not foresee what happened when the the thing exploded, burning twigs flying in every direction starting more fires that quickly got out of control. We high tailed it out of there before the FD showed up, and made solemn vows no more bombs of ANY sort. Back to home made rockets launched from my back yard ignited electrically while we were safely in my room watching out the window because occasionally one exploded on the launch pad like NASA's attempts to catch up to the Russians. I shot a rocket in the air, where it landed I know not where..............***
    Explains a lot.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati