Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Things You Did As A Kid

Did ya ever have pop bottle rocket and roman candle wars? How we never put an eye out is beyond me.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Setup: My city is called, "The City with Seven Hills and Ten Thousand Valleys". This is about me and 3 of my friends (all brothers), years later I still laugh until tears roll out my eyes.

My street was on top of, the top of another hill; cars had to "Gun it" to get up those hills and slow down after they crested the hill.

Soooo, we get the idea to create a "body" using my hat, one guys shirt, another guys shoes and, the oldest brother's pants stuffed with straw; we placed it in the middle of the street on the blind side of the hill after dark.

Boy-oh-boy did you hear cars screening to a halt and pissed off / cursing drivers; each driver would cast the dummy aside and keep going, we would come out of hiding and put it back in place. This was big fun until it was their father's car that crowned that hill and locked up the brakes.

We immediately, "Sans Station" while the father kicked the dummy to the curb and continued down the street towards home.

Myself and the younger two brothers retrieved our items but we hide the oldest brother's pant; we told him that his father had thrown them over the wall into the bushes.

We kept him out there in his boxers for at least 15 minutes, scared to go in the house, couldn't find his pants until we gave them back.

He wanted to fight, we were too busy running away and laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Holy crap, I did that too! Johnson 123A silver face 23 channel. Boy, that was a long time ago...
    I had a SBE Formula D 23 channel to start with but switched to an SBE Brute 23 channel When my dad retired it for a 40 channel.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

My best friend across the street and I were the neighborhood terrorists with loud explosions and clouds of smoke by day, blue arcs and flashing lights by night. Victor Frankenstein was our hero and model; "Crazy am I? We'll SEE whether I'm crazy or not!" Yeah, the kids are crazy.

The loud explosions and clouds of smoke were our rockets, CO2 cartridges for powering BB and pellet guns, illegal but the cartridges weren't, filled very tediously with heads of book matches cut off with shop shears. The launch tubes were steel pipes held in wooden frames copied from Nike Hercules launchers, ignited by modified spark plugs energized by a furnace igniter transformer at the end of a 50 foot extension cord. We didn't want to be ANYWHERE near the launcher when the countdown reached zero! The reason was simple, occasionally one would explode and take the launcher with it.

One electric arc was by day, our recreation of Marconi's transatlantic S sent across town to a third SWL friend with his receiver tuned to dead air at 1710KHz that only came alive occasionally at night with the New Hampshire State Police, the last of the "calling all cars" statewide broadcasts. Once the phone rang telling us the S was heard it was our last, before neighbors caught wise who was causing all that racket on their radios and TVs. That led into CB, the training ground for transmitters, receivers, and antennas that led into Amateur Radio, the only part of the test I had to buckle down and study for was band assignments, and that led into computers via digital radio. As they say at Commencement, onward, upward, and inward!

Frankenstein lab 2.jpgElvira Mistress Of The Dark.jpg
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Did ya ever have pop bottle rocket and roman candle wars? How we never put an eye out is beyond me.
    Bottle rocket wars? Why YES! Yes we did!

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    That's when you were older, I'm guessing. Teen years?
    Oh yeah, i was about 18. The rest of the guys were adults, some were Vietnam vets and bikers, we were drunk and high on stuff. Pretty stupid idea, overall.

Back in the mid 70's, we had a long, steep hill in Riverside, CA. Me and the other kids got our Big Wheels out and raced down the hill, traffic be damned! The problem was stopping. We slammed on the peddles, but the wheels were cheap plastic, we just bore holes in them, then slammed into the curb.....you know, now that you brought this up, I did a lot of stupid shit when i was a kid. Its a wonder i'm even alive.
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.

I lived at the top of a big hill starting in 1972.
    A couple of times I had to do some quick thinking when flying down the hill and my chain came off my bike.
    Remember the old back pedal braking?
    I was near the bottom with no brakes so I rode along the curb, rubbing the tires until I could slow down enough to jump off into a yard.
    Tuck and roll!

Did some nutty things with model rockets including building one that looked like the Star Trek Enterprise straight from the kit. Last time I launched it, it went up then did 3 huge loops to the east at about 80 off the ground before it slammed into the ground. Just wasn't a good platform for a rocket by the 3rd flight.
    I built a rocket with huge fins, thinking it didn't need a guide rail once it took off. Problem was I didn't have the electric igniter to set if t off. I convinced my fellow criminal to do a belly crawl and put a fire cracker fuse up the engine and light it with a match. He dutifully carried out my wish but after lighting the fuse he spun around to belly crawl away and of course the rocket took off and headed directly for his butt crack!

I thought I'd never outrun him!
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

I lived at the top of a big hill starting in 1972.
    A couple of times I had to do some quick thinking when flying down the hill and my chain came off my bike.
    Remember the old back pedal braking?
    I was near the bottom with no brakes so I rode along the curb, rubbing the tires until I could slow down enough to jump off into a yard.
    Tuck and roll!
    Brakes? we dont need no stinking brakes... ride it is out up the hill on the other side. Thats we we did in north jersey.

some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

roman candle and bottle rocket wars were the shit until the cops showed up