View Poll Results: Which is your all time favorite version of Windows? (select 1)

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows 98-SE

1 9.09%
  • Windows ME

0 0%
  • Windows 2000

0 0%
  • Windows XP SP-3

1 9.09%
  • Windows 7

6 54.55%
  • Windows 8.1

0 0%
  • Windows 10

3 27.27%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your all time favorite Windows version

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Which NT? 3.51 or 4?

Don’t forget NT’s original name, either... Micro$oft OS/2.

Vista gets a bad rap, but it was really a good OS... if you ran it on the proper hardware platform. Too many Vista machines were underpowered out of the box, and some of the bloat that M$ built or left in didn’t help one bit. A few inevitable bug fixes, some bloat removal, and Vista 2.0 turned into a good, stable OS.

Don’t remember Vista 2? Sure you do. It also got a name change for marketing reasons... to Windows 7.
    I do remember NT 3.51 and NT 4, both can be a real PITA to install, frequent BSOD during install. Before Windows 3, I had Windows 2.11. A saw Vista once, and performance was a dog - did not last long.

Before Win98SE, there was Win95 (I skipped this one, and OSR2 as well, and Win98. It was Win98 SE that really took off. I have two low importance programs that would not work after Win98 SE, so it lives on VMware.

I had chronic problems with Windows 7 early on, so I stayed with Win XP (from SP2), util the Windows 7 multicore code was fixed. Some of my engineering programs was fine when running 1 or two cores, more than 2, some programs became sluggish to the point of crashing. At some point, this was fixed, and when this happened, I left XP.

Win NT's original name ... was VMS!
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post
    Win NT's original name ... was VMS!
    No.

When IBM & Micro$oft ended their partnership over OS/2, IBM kept the OS/2 name. That's when Micro$oft OS/2 was rebranded Windows New Technology 3.1, later NT 3.5. The marketing implied that it was an off-shoot of Microsoft Windows 33.1, but of course, it wasn't.

Now, that said, a later version of NT (NT 4 if memory serves, but it might have been NT 5 aka XP) was an almost complete top-to-bottom rewrite, from the developers who had worked on VMS for Digital. Little of the old M$ OS/2 code remained. That actually started out as a separate, independent project, again if memory serves, which later supplanted the original M$ OS/2 / Windows NT as it's successor.
    Last edited by W3WN; 09-22-2021 at 02:51 PM.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I'll say this:

If various hypervisors won't support TPM 2.x emulation and/or Win11 won't run with a virtualized TPM, MS just seriously shot themselves in the foot. Further, if a given hypervisor won't support TPM pass-through calls...ditto.

Should MS' market be more focused towards the embedded end of things, most people won't notice or care. Those institutions which can make use of alternatives, WILL.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."