View Poll Results: Which is your all time favorite version of Windows? (select 1)

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows 98-SE

1 9.09%
  • Windows ME

0 0%
  • Windows 2000

0 0%
  • Windows XP SP-3

1 9.09%
  • Windows 7

6 54.55%
  • Windows 8.1

0 0%
  • Windows 10

3 27.27%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your all time favorite Windows version

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    They're trying to force us into a 64 bit world. Which means that older software will have to be replaced, and older hardware that can't support the OS will have to be replaced as well.
    Welcome to Windows 11.

Seriously, if you're running on 10 year old hardware when you don't have to (which is most people in the consumer space), yeah, it's time to move on.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Welcome to Windows 11.

Seriously, if you're running on 10 year old hardware when you don't have to (which is most people in the consumer space), yeah, it's time to move on.
    My philosophy is more on the lines of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

A LOT of people use their computer/tablets/whatevers the way that the Boss does... access FacePlant, play a few games, read their emails and texts. For the bulk of what they do, outside of security concerns, they don't NEED the latest and greatest software, not the latest and fastest hardware. These are the people who are getting squeezed out (even if they don't realize it yet) by newer OS's that have dropped backward compatibility.

You and I and the rest of the folks on this forum? No problem moving up a level. But we have some legit needs for more memory, faster CPUs, better graphics, faster networking, and more efficient OS's... ok, so that last one may exclude Windoze. We take this in stride. The person who wants to reconnect with their high school crush and exchange pictures of their grandkids? Nope.

And, yes, Linux is a good alternative. Once you get it installed, and then get the user through the learning curve. Again, WE take this in stride. Most civilians? They throw up their hands and want their old system back.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Windows 11 does not go well with me from what I am reading. Since most of my engineering programs/software/tools will now run on Linux, Windows 11 will force that move. Even 5 year old computers will not make the requirements for Windows 11. Here are the requirements for Windows 11:

Internet connection and Microsoft accounts: Windows 11 Home edition requires internet connectivity and a Microsoft account to complete device setup on first use.
    Switching a device out of Windows 11 Home in S mode also requires internet connectivity. Learn more about S mode here. For all Windows 11 editions, internet access is required to perform updates and to download and take advantage of some features. A Microsoft account is required for some features.

- in other words, no internet, no use of your(?) computer.

System firmware: UEFI, Secure Boot capable

- may not be able to multiboot with non-secure boot partitions. I may be wrong on this.

TPM: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0

- version 1.2 will not work. No TPM min version 2.0, no Windows 11. This will not go well with many.

Rest are minor issues, here are the rest of the requirements:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or System on a Chip (SoC)

RAM: 4 gigabyte (GB) (minimum)

Graphics card: Compatible with DirectX 12 or later with WDDM 2.0 driver

Display: High definition (720p) display that is greater than 9” diagonally, 8 bits per color channel

Source: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...specifications

Also stated somewhere: Windows 10 will continue to be used after loss of support, no more updates after 2025 if I remember right.

I am doing what our all wise bartender is doing - Windows 7 doesn't touch the internet.

Fun Quotes: found at https://www.pcworld.com/article/1559...edictions.html

Worst Tech Predictions of All Time

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."

Ken Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

"Apple is already dead."

Nathan Myhrvold, former Microsoft CTO, 1997

"Two years from now, spam will be solved."

Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft, 2004

Consumer Market Dictates Computer Technology

Always have.

In the beginning of consumer "interference" in computer technology was the rise of Commodore Vic 20, Commodore 64, The Amiga's, The Atari's, and Radio Shack TRS-80. The consumer demand for graphics, games, and sound/music pushed the technology in this direction. Those who said computers do not need high end graphics got run over by the consumer market.

The demand for faster, higher resolution graphics, with the slowness of Microsoft, IBM and Intel to get there, brought forth the VESA local bus, as we saw in the 486 PC's. PCI bus came afterwards. IBM tried to get into the game with microchannel architecture, but failed due to high royalty fees. Besides, we had VESA local bus, who needed microchannel?

Consumer market infiltrated the internet, marketers saw this and further exploited the internet use. Multimedia shaped the www standards to be included. Websites now look like tabloids in appearance. All this are good things, but you can see how the market shapes technology.

Now we have cell phones which are much more than phones, they are everything the consumer wants. Games, web browsing, commerce, and office suites... all this has put a serious dent in the computer market... Samsung is there, Google is there, Apple is there, but where is Microsoft?

Windows 11 may be the beginning of the end for Microsoft. There are alternatives, Apple is just a user interface wrapper around a Linux core, and so is chromebook. If someone can put together a close windows wrapper around a Linux core, they may hasten the move away from Microsoft.

Did I miss anything?

Well, actually, macos is a user interface atop a *BSD* core...

But msft always floats requirements like this before they launch a new os that nobody wants. Many of the proposals never come to fruition.

For instance, I don't think that the msft account will be required... Doing this obviates the use of the new OS in secure environments. They said this would be true for win 10 as well.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

I couldn't vote because there is no "none of the above" option. Windblows never did hit its stride, unlike open source Linux, the Redmond Gang has users as lab rats in a never ending constantly upgrading beta test. Then when W7 became easily defeated spyware, and trying to force downgrade to W10 (8 & 8.1 joined the list of failures) with ever increasingly difficult to tame being spyware in itself, and Micro$haft products like Office 2019 following suit started on a slippery slope down to Hell. Now W11 the worst spyware yet, and has made millions of perfectly good computers obsolete, that's THE LAST STRAW! I'm learning Linux with Mint in the virtual environment. FOO YOU REDMOND GANG, EAT SHIT AND DIE!
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

We shouldn't forget Win NT, nor the failed Windows Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by N1LAF View Post
    We shouldn't forget Win NT, nor the failed Windows Vista.
    Which NT? 3.51 or 4?

Don’t forget NT’s original name, either... Micro$oft OS/2.

Vista gets a bad rap, but it was really a good OS... if you ran it on the proper hardware platform. Too many Vista machines were underpowered out of the box, and some of the bloat that M$ built or left in didn’t help one bit. A few inevitable bug fixes, some bloat removal, and Vista 2.0 turned into a good, stable OS.

Don’t remember Vista 2? Sure you do. It also got a name change for marketing reasons... to Windows 7.
    Last edited by W3WN; 09-20-2021 at 07:45 PM.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Vista worked well for me... Even on older hardware. No idea what I did thst was different...
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane