Thread: Some lighthouses on the outer banks

Some lighthouses on the outer banks

A fun but rainy trip to the outer banks of NC and of course I had to take pictures of all kinds of things. here are some lighthouses.
    Attached Images Attached Images

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

All phallic innuendo aside, light houses are cool. We have a few out here on frontier too. But, you don't have one of these -

astorboner.jpg

Affectionately known as the Astorboner, er, the Astor Column, it has quite an interesting story. Here

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

While on the subject of lighthouses, have any of you had the pleasure of operating from one on Lighthouse Day? When I lived in West Creek as a member of Old Barney ARC I had the great pleasure of operating the 40M station from our namesake, Barnegat Light affectionately known as Old Barney. We operated from the gazebo using AC mains power from a shed at the base of the light, the 40M dipole was only 10ft up on a couple of poles in the sand, the perfect daytime NVIS antenna. We separated families for the day as kids clamored to watch, set up on a table with benches the kids were eager to operate under my supervision and thrilled at talking on a RADIO instead of just listening to one. Naturally I HAD to be the promo man, maybe, just maybe one or more followed through and Amateur Radio has some new blood. Of course I steered them away from starting with an HT that is receive only unless it's in the shadow of a repeater, and away from repeaters because they quickly get bored and that ends that.

Old Barney.jpg

While not a lighthouse, it is a light buoy, a novel approach would be take a radio ship out and activate Null Island at 0-0 on Lighthouse Day. I would LOVE for a club to take it all the way with QSL cards from "The Middle of Nowhere" quite literally.

Null Island @ 0-0.jpg
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Odd, it looks like the gale force winds laid the lighthouses all over.... They all were the right way up on the computer before sharing them.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.