Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some people sound strange

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

some people sound strange

when listening to the hf bands, i hear strange speech from some people. when they talk, all i hear is the voice of alice the goon or charlie brown's teacher. other people, the people that are part of the conversation with these people sound normal; but no matter how much i adjust the voice tone settings on my radio, some peoples' voices cannot be understood. Why is this so?

What make / model / vintage radio are you using?

yaesu ft767gx, with a 260 ft dipole, connected to a buried 200 ft rg58 coax lead directly to a mfj941e tuner, to the radio. antenna is 30 feet high, with dipole ends facing north south. i cAN HERE responses to alice the goon, but alice only i can't zero in on... is he on the dipole's nodes side?

Are you on the correct sideband?

160-75-40 use LSB by convention; above 30M uses USB.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Some people sound strange no matter the offset.

like i said, ya'll, the only person that i can't hear is alice the goon. i can hear people reply to his conversations with him, not just can't hear him.... and not only that, i can hear his voice noise from 1885 all the way through 1910, on all of the bands.

Turn off the rig's noise blanker and turn on the attenuator. Does the Goon still come through?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

hey ganstas, this is major tom to ground control, noise blank was off already and have now activated the ATT button..... so now, it's just "a wait and see," until when alice the goon will meander into the communication zone ......

special thanks before hand, ya'll

Yes to the noise blanker check. I have two adjustable noise blanker buttons.
    One is aggressive, strong in band stations rip it up. Useful to dig out the weak.
    Other is for busy band, LOUD signals. With strong S/N ratio, meh little help.

Another issue (maybe mentioned) is the width of your RX passband.
    2.7 KHz from the manual, but a LOT run 3KHz wide or wider.

It's a jungle out there. Many EQ stupidly with poor articulation.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Must be a localized phenomenon.