Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new misfit, ya'll

new misfit, ya'll

this is kd5log. i happened upon this thing ya'll got goin' on here and i like the idea behind it. Thank you for it. I've been an extra for a long time now, but have only recently picked it back up. I had to relearn code, which i did, sorta' kinda'.... i relearned how to send code again; and can send it ok... but learning to copy decently is taking a lot longer to accomplish..... anyway, i'll get better, just takes time and practice. I have a yeasu ft767gx that pushes 100 watts over the hf bands. with a simple wire dipole antenna that works 160m -10m. Six meters and 2 meters are also available for operation, but my yaesu pushes out only 10 watts max on these two bands. anyways, if anyone wants to reach out and touch me over the weekends, please feel free. you can set up a time and a frequency and a mode via email:
    ustica-island@outlook.com Thanks again for the forum

73's to all

Welcome to the Island, Robert! I hope that's your preferred name. Really good to see another CW operator join the ranks. I prefer CW myself. I'm not on the air right now, but when the weather cools off, I have some new wire antennas to hang. Storms over the past few years have taken all of my HF antennas down.

I've been off of HF now for more than two years, but I keep my copying skills sharp by just listening on a SW receiver. Seems my favorite band (30 meters) is getting crowded with digital signals, but the lower portion seems pretty quiet. Hope to hear you soon, and we can do a QSO this winter.

Hope you enjoy the forums, there's some good folks here. Please do ask any questions you wish... there are no forum 'Gods' who know everything here, and everyone seems willing to help. Quite a few guys here are fond of boat anchors, and they have some serious knowledge of those old rigs.

Take care, and 73,
    Luke

Welcome to The Island!

I am your bartender and this is your Customary Island Drink.

Welcome to the Island Robert.
    I'm the Dutch lost idiot on call here ;)
    Last edited by PA5COR; 07-22-2021 at 02:02 AM.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Welcome.

Give the NEOH crew a call on 28.337USB. There are a couple CW ops on frequency (me included) who are happy to indulge in a Morse QSO.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

My best answer would be to tell her the morning after, then quietly whisper to her that you like to sit in a dark room and talk to other men late at night about the lengths of their antennas while ya'll discuss increasing forward power. But who really knows.... ya' no' women, they are different. she might just get into things like that. now pour me another drink, please.

Creeplings and solicitations from the Jersey Shore! Down there in Five Land y'all know happiness is a big Johnson, but lemme tell y'all sompin, that HRO-500 isn't all that it's cracked up to be and cost way more than it was worth back in the day. I restored two R-390s and it'll run rings around anything National Radio ever made. You being a CW man would appreciate my favorite key, a WW2 vintage explosion proof one from a B-29 I picked up NIB at a hamfester for a song.

Johnson Desk KW Ranger exciter & National Radio HRO 500 RX.jpg WW2 explosion proof radiotelegraph key.jpg
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

yo, gansta' i appreciate the invite to tune into 28.337. i just tuned in to it with a 1.3 swr, and my yaesu likes the match up 'cause it was pushing out 108 watts.... which is pretty cool.... but the usb part is confusing to me. my boat anchor does not allow me to send code on any mode but cw mode. i tried a NOMIC interface with a laptop but these modern laptops from wally world don't have a dedicated "microphone in" jack, and the duel mic/headphone jack they do have, coupled with the wonderful world of windows 10, just don't want to work right. it would be nice to send and receive code through a computer interface, because i could also get hooked up with all the other fancy-video looking software that scans the ssb frequencies too. this modern technology is really cool, but this old dinosaur is still struggling to tie his tec-no shoes.

hey warren, I WANT YOUR KEY, MAN! by the way, who's johnson? I was in cape may many moons ago, camp tracen, in 1985... that's when ya'll had a great big earth tremor. i was standing in formation and the whole world shook.... you can have that, man... down here, we got hurricanes... we can see them coming