Thread: .... . .... . LOL

.... . .... . LOL

A new targeted phishing campaign includes the novel obfuscation technique of using Morse code to hide malicious URLs in an email attachment.

Samuel Morse and Alfred Vail invented morse code as a way of transmitting messages across telegraph wire. When using Morse code, each letter and number is encoded as a series of dots (short sound) and dashes (long sound).

Starting last week, a threat actor began utilizing Morse code to hide malicious URLs in their phishing form to bypass secure mail gateways and mail filters.

Who said Morse Code was dead?

Morris code as I've heard it called has a translator for those who don't know it: https://morsecode.world/international/translator.html

Here's a code history lesson for those who don't know and are interested in learning. Morse Code was the first telegraph code, a European version was adopted. Then came Railroad Code, and again there came a European version. When transatlantic telegraph cables were laid, operators struggled with a code language barrier and developed Continental Code, a common language. Johnny Come Lately was wireless that used Continental Code that has been in use ever since. Nope, CW ops never used Morse Code, it's Continental Code, but the name Morse Code stuck. Meanwhile Japan developed their own unique code, in WW2 at first US ops were stymied, then they had to learn a whole new CW code. Along came Toho Studios that produced great kaiju (strange beast) movies beginning with Gojira that became the American heavily edited and dubbed version Godzilla King Of The Monsters. In the beginning of those movies is a scene of the marine radio operators receiving distress messages in CW, ... --- ... is universal, the rest is Japanese code.

Thus ends the lesson for today. They elmered me, so returning the favor I elmer when I can.
    Footnote: There is a plethora of protection hardware and software to be had, in addition to professional grade stuff at the server level Cloudflare has filtering at the DNS level (look it up, it's great) BUT the best protection is between your ears.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.