Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yes I am still around

DAYUM! I can't say how I missed you, the New Jersey half baked ham, words just don't say it. One thing you missed was our discovery of England's Ham Island that like ours has an exclusive no riff raff community on it. Don't let life's misfortunes get you down, remember that which does not kill you makes you strong, we're SURVIVORS. You are not alone, I also went through Hell and came out the other side a bit singed but OK. I lost my home and most of my possessions, Scott was able to salvage my radios I gave to him since I'm now a paper ham, and my computer stuff most of which he has in storage. Now I'm in a nursing home with slower than molasses uphill in January WiFi, a survivor of Covid 19 I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy if I had one. Chin up girl, I have songs for every occasion and here is one for you.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

WOW, I didn't know you had covid, so sorry you went through that. I know several people that had it and a few that died from it. I knew you moved and Scott has most of your stuff from that unfortunate incident with your health and your landlord. I thought you were in assisted living. Well you can still set up a little portable thing with ht and a mobile antenna can't you?
    Last edited by KB2SFH; 02-01-2021 at 03:20 PM.
    First licensed October 31, 1994 as No Code Technician
    Upgraded to General in April, 2006 WITH CODE
    Upgraded to EXTRA written on May 12, 2007

ARRL Life Member

73 DE KB2SFH
    (5 WPM EXTRA AND PROUD OF IT!!!)
    BE PROUD OF YOUR CALL SIGN, YOU EARNED IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Well, welcome back. Maybe the next time that we head back to visit my mom (she’s now in a nursing home in Somerset), an eyeball QSO might be in order.

And, sorry about your recent circumstances. It’s always a tough situation.
    Yea that would be kewl to do an eyeball when this pandemic is long behind as I am totally social distancing when I have to be around people such as work and outside of work I am not seeing anyone. But for now here are some eyeballs to enjoy until we do the real thing

ARRL Life Member

73 DE KB2SFH

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Hello and long time no hear from.
    Let me see if I can remember, no alcohol. Hot chocolate?
    Hot chocolate with alcohol and cool whip sounds good.

ARRL Life Member

73 DE KB2SFH

Quote Originally Posted by KB2SFH View Post
    Yea that would be kewl to do an eyeball when this pandemic is long behind as I am totally social distancing when I have to be around people such as work and outside of work I am not seeing anyone. But for now here are some eyeballs to enjoy until we do the real thing
    Not a problem. We won’t be visiting... won’t be allowed to visit, for health and safety reasons for all concerned... until well after, as well.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

An open letter to our beloved (I'm not kidding) half baked Jersey ham, the one who busted the chops of the CW Forever crowd during The No Code Wars with a great tag line, "No Code Extra":

Actually where I am here in beautiful downtown Lakewood is also a physical rehab unit I landed in when discharged from the hospital and never left. I had planned on graduating to assisted living, but along came the Covid lock down and my future became uncertain. Before the battery pack for my HT went poop I could only just barely light up one repeater with nobody on. When I last had antennas repeaters were falling into disuse and going dark, nobody used FM simplex, the only times VHF and UHF saw any use was during occasional band openings. The reason why I went paper was because there's nobody to talk with except for HF, and even if I could manage some sort of antenna the noise floor is insane.

I'm OK with my computer even if the WiFi is slow as molasses uphill in January, I manage to keep my head screwed on with this link to the outside world. The black thingy is a WiFi dongle, next to it is the only American flag I fly, the Civil Flag while others fly the War Ensign that makes the building it's on a legal target of war. Sitting on the computer is Maneki Neko, my imported antique Japanese lucky beckoning cat. Look up "maneki neko" on line, the very interesting story is too long for here.

Wavlink 690A5D USB3 AC1900 Wi-Fi Adapter.jpg
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    An open letter to our beloved (I'm not kidding) half baked Jersey ham, the one who busted the chops of the CW Forever crowd during The No Code Wars with a great tag line, "No Code Extra":

Actually where I am here in beautiful downtown Lakewood is also a physical rehab unit I landed in when discharged from the hospital and never left. I had planned on graduating to assisted living, but along came the Covid lock down and my future became uncertain. Before the battery pack for my HT went poop I could only just barely light up one repeater with nobody on. When I last had antennas repeaters were falling into disuse and going dark, nobody used FM simplex, the only times VHF and UHF saw any use was during occasional band openings. The reason why I went paper was because there's nobody to talk with except for HF, and even if I could manage some sort of antenna the noise floor is insane.

I'm OK with my computer even if the WiFi is slow as molasses uphill in January, I manage to keep my head screwed on with this link to the outside world. The black thingy is a WiFi dongle, next to it is the only American flag I fly, the Civil Flag while others fly the War Ensign that makes the building it's on a legal target of war. Sitting on the computer is Maneki Neko, my imported antique Japanese lucky beckoning cat. Look up "maneki neko" on line, the very interesting story is too long for here.

Wavlink 690A5D USB3 AC1900 Wi-Fi Adapter.jpg
    OK, I'm not one for long commentaries. I am not a half baked ham or a no code extra, I got the 5 word extra as a general class just to say I passed a code test before they did away with it entirely and got the extra mainly for my V.E privies. To date I have never set foot on an hf frequency. As far as your set up goes it's better than nothing but I never did like that word dongle, it's sounds a bit kinky if you ask me. As far as your Japanese cat, it looks like it could use some sushi.

ARRL Life Member

73 DE KB2SFH

You know, no disrespect to anyone, but I have come to HATE the NCE term. Or No Code anything, for that matter.

You passed the tests available at the time? Great! You’re a ham. Period.

You passed Extra? Great! Congrats! Welcome to the club! End discussion. (Same for every other license class, too).

The NC label has, IMHO, become a demeaning, insulting, discriminatory term. Who cares? You took the test, you passed. That, and only that, matters.

Rant ends.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

WOAH! Take it easy Ron before you blow a gasket. Nobody uses that NC term any more unless referring to the normally closed contacts of a switch or relay. To set the record straight, Sue only used the term to bust chops and dropped it as soon as the FCC rules were updated and the stick in the muds were defeated. For the sake of the younger out there in Radioland, back in the Stone Age Amateur Radio was secondary to CW only commercial stations. Proficiency in Morse at speeds ranging from 5 to 20WPM was mandatory so should a commercial station tell a ham to QSY off its frequency it was understood and complied with. When the last such station went dark learning Morse was no longer necessary, but the FCC dragged their feet for decades. Had I not had a mental difficulty with memory I would have held my General ticket in 1965 when I had HF antennas and the noise floor was so low I could hear a fly fart in Moscow. I had to settle with staying an SWL and scanner buff until 1995 when the requirement was finally dropped. By then I had moved and had no room for HF antennas, the noise became fierce, and I had no incentive to upgrade from Tech.

To bring out a skeleton from the closet, (;->) I thank Sue and a refugee from CB, then Ohio Express to N2EIY and later vanity call W2RXR Jim for dragging me into the service I had given up on years before. I will leave my pet name and Sue's phonetics in the closet, but Jim wouldn't mind me revealing him being a truck driver took his handle from the trucking company, and being a fellow rail fan his suffix can be seen at every railway level crossing.

Sue, you know you're very special to me, but if you don't like being my special half baked ham this is the last time I shall mention it. The Specials, also known as The Special AKA, is an English 2 Tone and Ska revival band formed in 1977 in Coventry, but I digress.
    "I never did like that word dongle, it's sounds a bit kinky if you ask me."
    OK, maybe you never liked The Kinks or Hints And Kinks either, but if it pleases you the official name is Wavlink AC1900 960A5D USB 3 Wireless Adapter. ('->)
    "As far as your Japanese cat, it looks like it could use some sushi."
    I'm having trouble finding ceramic cat food for it, now you want me to look for ceramic sushi??? Tell you what, if you can find ceramic sushi I'll see if I can get Maneki Neko to eat it. You're living in my old home town, a nice new building too. It has changed so much I can't begin to tell you where to look for ceramic sushi because the ceramics shop where I used to work is now some sort of eatery. What used to be my favorite diner before cookie cutter diners with cookie cutter meals came about is still on St. Georges Ave. near the railroad, but pick a diner, any diner, they're all the same now. Then if the ceramics shop was still there I'm not sure kitty would like lapping up slip before it hardens anyway...........

On edit: A little homework told me the word Google censorship blurred out is "pizza". Have you ever wondered why every pizza joint is the same and the only good pizza baked in a coal fired oven is in Little Italy just north of China Town in New York? I call it Mafia Pizza, I've seen the takeovers many times beginning with Anacapri in Linden when Anacapri Foods warehouse was created. Now all in the area buy from them or get a little persuasion from the local Don.

2021-02-05_10-43-04.jpg
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 02-05-2021 at 11:21 AM.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    WOAH! Take it easy Ron before you blow a gasket. Nobody uses that NC term any more unless referring to the normally closed contacts of a switch or relay. To set the record straight, Sue only used the term to bust chops and dropped it as soon as the FCC rules were updated and the stick in the muds were defeated. For the sake of the younger out there in Radioland, back in the Stone Age Amateur Radio was secondary to CW only commercial stations. Proficiency in Morse at speeds ranging from 5 to 20WPM was mandatory so should a commercial station tell a ham to QSY off its frequency it was understood and complied with. When the last such station went dark learning Morse was no longer necessary, but the FCC dragged their feet for decades. Had I not had a mental difficulty with memory I would have held my General ticket in 1965 when I had HF antennas and the noise floor was so low I could hear a fly fart in Moscow. I had to settle with staying an SWL and scanner buff until 1995 when the requirement was finally dropped. By then I had moved and had no room for HF antennas, the noise became fierce, and I had no incentive to upgrade from Tech.

To bring out a skeleton from the closet, (;->) I thank Sue and a refugee from CB, then Ohio Express to N2EIY and later vanity call W2RXR Jim for dragging me into the service I had given up on years before. I will leave my pet name and Sue's phonetics in the closet, but Jim wouldn't mind me revealing him being a truck driver took his handle from the trucking company, and being a fellow rail fan his suffix can be seen at every railway level crossing.

Sue, you know you're very special to me, but if you don't like being my special half baked ham this is the last time I shall mention it. The Specials, also known as The Special AKA, is an English 2 Tone and Ska revival band formed in 1977 in Coventry, but I digress.
    "I never did like that word dongle, it's sounds a bit kinky if you ask me."
    OK, maybe you never liked The Kinks or Hints And Kinks either, but if it pleases you the official name is Wavlink AC1900 960A5D USB 3 Wireless Adapter. ('->)
    "As far as your Japanese cat, it looks like it could use some sushi."
    I'm having trouble finding ceramic cat food for it, now you want me to look for ceramic sushi??? Tell you what, if you can find ceramic sushi I'll see if I can get Maneki Neko to eat it. You're living in my old home town, a nice new building too. It has changed so much I can't begin to tell you where to look for ceramic sushi because the ceramics shop where I used to work is now some sort of eatery. What used to be my favorite diner before cookie cutter diners with cookie cutter meals came about is still on St. Georges Ave. near the railroad, but pick a diner, any diner, they're all the same now. Then if the ceramics shop was still there I'm not sure kitty would like lapping up slip before it hardens anyway...........

On edit: A little homework told me the word Google censorship blurred out is "pizza". Have you ever wondered why every pizza joint is the same and the only good pizza baked in a coal fired oven is in Little Italy just north of China Town in New York? I call it Mafia Pizza, I've seen the takeovers many times beginning with Anacapri in Linden when Anacapri Foods warehouse was created. Now all in the area buy from them or get a little persuasion from the local Don.

2021-02-05_10-43-04.jpg

oh my now I must weed out everything here to comment on certain points. Ok, I called your stick in the muds the curmudgeons. w2rxr has changed not only his call sign but changed his name and identity and address as well to Tennessee. Apparently he seems to think that doing that he is totally changed but he is still that same person on the inside so he fooled no one but himself. I do know the new call and name but won't disclose it here for anyone to get a hold of and contact him regarding me because I don't want to wake up his sleeping giant and have him dogging me with blowing up my email with the drama I fought so hard and long to get away from and finally had to threaten pressing charges if he didn't leave me alone and stay out of my life. ok on to the next as they say in Ghosthunters, thank you for not disclosing your pet name for me as I sit here breaking out in hives from the thought of it As far as my phonetics go, I like my phoneticsw, Screaming For Help as I do so often of Sodium Free Ham for those on restricted diets. As far as my ham tasted go I prefer Taylor ham sammiches on soft roll with a dab of ketchup and hold the cheese please. I like cheese but not on my Taylor ham and I can almost hear "Bud Bob from metropuke saying how do you figure?" on that one. I do like the Kinks music group especially the song "Low Budget" we both can identify with it and I live it for the most part except my taste in food. Sushi is my downfall as far as expenses go, just wave a piece of salmon sushi in front of me and I'll come running as fast as I can on my bad legs. I can get you some plastic sushi from the internet or I can swipe it off the display at my sushi bar (when the chef isn't holding the cutting knife and looking at) me to spread out next to your ceramic cat so he doesn't go hungry. The chef never did trust me from the time he caught me sticking the chopsticks up in my mouth and doing walrus impersonations, he told me I was f**ked in the head. What was I to do? I was hungry and bored from waiting forever for my order cause they were that busy that day. Pizza, ok, I haven't had pizza from Linden since my '80's hangout days on Alexander Ave and that was from Tucky's pizza. My pizza now is from either Calabria on Centennial Ave in Cranford or Dominos pizza also in Cranford. Also about me living in your home town, the building is nice but I certainly never would have been so stupid to put it right in the middle of downtown slum rahway if I were the builder. The parking sucks even with parking permits allotted to the spaces around the building and the people that reside downtown and even some in the building really scare me.

ARRL Life Member

73 DE KB2SFH