Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Nostalgia Thread!

The Nostalgia Thread!

I grew up with this guy. Age 2 to 4 in Brooklyn NY.

Oh no, I remember him! He was on the tv and I'm sure it was mom watching his show because I think I was really young then too.

Which made me remember another one. Do you remember Charles Atlas? Something about a guy who would pull a boxcar with a rope?
    Here - https://www.charlesatlas.com/atlas_strength.html
    Crazy memory jog Charles. Wow

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Yeah, Atlas was in the back of all the magazines at some point, including Boy's Life.

Here's a throwback. Commercial jingles are short and have a tendency to stick, as is the goal.

Jack LaPennylane was always on grandma's TV. She looked so funny trying to do his exercises grunting and straining against a tight girdle. She went from one diet to another and always was barrel shaped never losing a pound. She was fat from WAY back, she had one of those 1930s or 40s electric flab shakers in an upstairs bedroom never used. Still, grandma was cool, I loved going shopping with her, I just HAD to get a bag of hot fresh roasted peanuts from the peanut wagon on the corner under the clock. Speaking of clocks, I found two working steam powered clocks. Check the Internet, you can find them too.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Tang, the astronaut drink that NASA didn't invent. I'm glad I didn't have to eat and drink out of plastic bags, poo in a vacuum toilet, drink recycled pee, or send dehydrated crap home in a rocket. I'm glad I didn't have to use The Intergalactic Laxative to get me from here to Mars either!

Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

The Schwinn Stingray bicycle.

I had a 1970 Jet Star.

Backing up a bit, commercials WERE short following the 10 & 2 format, 10 minutes of program, 2 minutes of commercials, mostly 30 second spots. Now they're 10 & 10 mostly 60 second spots and the ID "bug" disappears by day and 1 hour after 1 hour "infomercials" by night. Those are Biblical, the same thing repeated 3 times per 1 hour slot. Then come Sunday the Bible thumpers with their send money and I'll pray for you lectures come out of the rat infested woodwork......

I stopped that cigarette commercial dead in its tracks when the lying bastard said only Chesterfoof dog ends don't irritate when irritation doesn't show up in x rays. I smoked and cigarettes didn't irritate my ears either, ROTFLMAO! They irritated everything else as the poisons carried by blood circulated throughout my body. Now I have COPD and use a maintenance inhaler daily, heart disease and have a pacemaker with defibrillator, and PAD so I can barely walk, and nothing from the waist down works as intended. Like most ex-smokers I have become an adamant anti-smoker for 2 reasons, the selfish one being the stink drifting in through cracks in the courtyard door from the smokers intent on slow suicide brings on craving that drives me up a wall, and the selfless one admonishing smokers of what they're doing to themselves. Frankly I'm surprised the government hasn't stamped out what used to be considered "a filthy habit" now a known addiction entirely through taxation. How anyone can afford a national $6.65 average and Rhode Islanders paying $10.15 a PACK is beyond crazy!
    Rant mode off.

I had an I don't know how old used 3 speed Columbia bike I smoked the brakes on trying to stop when the light at the bottom of a hill went red, I went through and luckily didn't get hit. My friends and I went on long rides, they had 10 speed Schwinn English Racers and waited an hour for me to show up.

Now for some REAL nostalgia, a badass Defibrillator with Achmed The Dead Terrorist at the wheel. I recognized it as a show deuce coupe, what once was a 1932 Ford 2 door aka coupe. Also pictured is a road version that Bruce Springsteen sang about, "Ripped off by a deuce, another runner in the night." covered by Manfred Mann's Earth Band and misheard as "ripped off like a douche, another runner in the night". Mondegreens only get worse. (;->) Funny that album, Greetings From Asbury Park when "The Boss" is from Freehold and The E Street Band likewise phony, there are NO alphabet streets in Asbury Park.

Name:  Achmed Defibrillator Car.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  180.1 KB

Name:  deuce coupe.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  109.6 KB
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 02-10-2021 at 02:04 PM. Reason: forgot pictures (;->)
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA