Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: License testing during COVID

License testing during COVID

Im wondering how this is done, and if its done with the restrictions in place. Anyone hear
    of people taking exams for Technician or upgrades during the lockdown?

Logistically it don't seem possible especially with the conventions all canceled.

Some are virtual events with lots of honesty checks involved. Kinda like a zoom call, I'm told. I have no details, but there's plenty about them on the web.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I am training an UK guy, he got his foundation and this week his intermediate license, all done online with 2 pc's with camera's taking the exams at home, the camera's need to be set up so the examiner can check if he does not leave his place and does not use material not allowed.

Our exams are now in limbo, they get taken at several places but due to Covid exams are now postponed.
    So it differs per country.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by KA2PTE View Post
    Im wondering how this is done, and if its done with the restrictions in place. Anyone hear
    of people taking exams for Technician or upgrades during the lockdown?

Logistically it don't seem possible especially with the conventions all canceled.
    Slightly off topic but, my harmonic signed up to take his road test; it's a whole different procedure than when
    I took mine 50 years ago. Now-a-days, the State Trooper doesn't get in the car with you, a licensed driver has to occupy the car with the candidate on a closed course, if the passenger gives any prompts it is an automatic failure.

I failed as a driving instructor because, the first part of the driving test is to turn on the Windshield washer; I never covered that and he failed on his first try.

Better preparation now that we know what is expected.

Quote Originally Posted by koØm View Post
    Slightly off topic but, my harmonic signed up to take his road test; it's a whole different procedure than when
    I took mine 50 years ago. Now-a-days, the State Trooper doesn't get in the car with you, a licensed driver has to occupy the car with the candidate on a closed course, if the passenger gives any prompts it is an automatic failure.

I failed as a driving instructor because, the first part of the driving test is to turn on the Windshield washer; I never covered that and he failed on his first try.

Better preparation now that we know what is expected.
    Sounds like a trick question.
    We don't need trick questions in SC. They test on trick roads.

Open letter to Eric WZ7U: Thanks for the heads up, just the other day my ex landlord e-mailed me about his neighbor who wants to become one of us. I gave him info on the Gordon West WB6NOA study materials I used having found the study manual great because it uses the same structure as the test I passed 100% in 15 minutes because of it. I simplified it even more by highlighting the correct answers memorizing only the correct answer to them and not cluttering my brain with junk. Now I'll get back to him with the most important info of all, the ARRL list of on line VECs and how it's done.

Trick questions? Every question on the ham test has a trick answer. If they test on trick roads come up this way and you'll find trick roads. Every city street (not county roads or the state highway through town) is a trick road. Try driving where there are more chuck holes than pavement for the ultimate test of tires and suspension systems. Oh, with today's baloney skin tires you can add those expensive oversize 18" fancy rims too.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

they're still doing remote testing ... there's a bit of honor system involved, and a bit of technology that keeps people honest (basically, you have to let the examiners see the room that you're in so they can discern that you're not cheating).

and there are still clubs doing in-person testing (one of the clubs here is doing this, which i think is pretty bonkers ... especially since they're all ancient guys with multiple health conditions, ... ).
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

I'm no longer the VE Team Liaison for my club (retired from the job last year), but I did just hear from the new Liaison that ARRL is going to be setting up remote testing; he just got approved for it. No, I don't know the details, nor when or how it will be announced.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

W3WN - Please keep us posted in this thread if you can. Curious to see what the ARRL comes up with.

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    I'm no longer the VE Team Liaison for my club (retired from the job last year), but I did just hear from the new Liaison that ARRL is going to be setting up remote testing; he just got approved for it. No, I don't know the details, nor when or how it will be announced.

Just a thought.

The way things are going (grumpy old man voice) the FCC will just start charging a yearly fee for the Amateur Radio License and eliminate testing.

There will be videos on proper station set ups and the fee will include a safety guide that can be downloaded online or sent in the mail for another fee.

The ARRL may see this as an opportunity to sell more memberships.

[edited to add] Based on population age demographics, perhaps the AARP will get in on this by offering Amateur Radio coupons.