Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A couple more classics

Was that Uniden the "export model" with a 30W mod legal on the 11M BRS channels between 22 and 23 with 4 more above 23 and a speech processor? A couple of friends had them, one had an Israeli accent the processor didn't like so he left it off. 30W didn't matter much to the other guy, he was on the side of a hill with an Avante .64 wave vertical. His signal rivaled my 100W Heathkit Apache into a vertical dipole aka Shakespeare Big Stick I hated because of heavy precipitation static buildup on the fiberglass sheath. When I destroyed it in a second testing a 500W amp (An antenna rated at a kilowatt?) I repaired I replaced it with a 5/8 wave Cushcraft Ringo, no more static. BTW that was one great sounding little amp because instead of sweep tubes or "pills" biased into Class C it used a forced air cooled 4CX250A biased AB1. The owner's handle was... get this... Flipperdoo.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

I think you misunderstood. I put "export model" in parentheses because it's a common term for 10M ham rigs and similar items easily modified for 11M "freeband" and related illegal purposes.Chuckling, what ham would buy a 10M rig when 160-10M all mode rigs are available for the same price? The Uniden I had in mind could be used legally on the afore mentioned US BRS channels before the band was expanded upward to 40 channels and went to 30W by jumping out a resistor. Unfortunately the model is long forgotten. I knew other rigs with the same jumper mod, none were used legally.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Was that Uniden the "export model" with a 30W mod legal on the 11M BRS channels between 22 and 23 with 4 more above 23 and a speech processor?
    [quote augmented for length and direct question]
    I thought this was a question directed at my old Washington.

Then you wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    I think you misunderstood. I put "export model" in parentheses because it's a common term for 10M ham rigs and similar items easily modified for 11M "freeband" and related illegal purposes.Chuckling, what ham would buy a 10M rig when 160-10M all mode rigs are available for the same price? The Uniden I had in mind could be used legally on the afore mentioned US BRS channels before the band was expanded upward to 40 channels and went to 30W by jumping out a resistor. Unfortunately the model is long forgotten. I knew other rigs with the same jumper mod, none were used legally.
    Have you priced a new export rig vs say, a new ham rig? Not comparable plus, some hams want to keep things simple with readily available accessories, antennas etc. [edited for clarification] Simplicity in a (mono) bander though technically you could call it a tribander.
    Older rigs for 10/11m are now getting to where they run into issues due age and how many times they have changed hands as well as hams being notorious for thinking their 35 year old HR2500 is worth $400 or a 55 year old FT-101 is worth upwards of $500 and more, much more.
    Yeah, it seems like I'm contradicting you and I get that. We're in 2 different worlds. I just wish you could hear the local 10m ragchewing in the evenings and late nights. I feel many have lost their way. I won't get political here but how can you have a life long career in a field that is based 100% on Science and then use science to get on the air to go on and shun science, at length?

OK. That's all I got to say about that.

All_I_Got_To_Say_002_ReS.jpg

Last edited by KG4CGC; 02-10-2021 at 08:07 PM. Reason: one single letter "e"

I have never seriously kept track of make, model, or price of new CB or AR gear. Mine was old and second hand aka boat anchors except for my last, an Icom IC706MK2G bought before the price shot through the roof. IIRC the model that replaced it went for over a G note, too rich for the blood of the average ham.
    "We're in 2 different worlds."
    True that, I'm a tube man in a transistor world, like Joe Walsh of The Eagles an Analog Man (2012 album), and now paper, mind that match.
    "I just wish you could hear the local 10m rag chewing in the evenings and late nights."
    Don't have to, I used to hear some of the "10M CB" crew that was joined by DX during band openings. Because they were off the end of the dipole I couldn't put in enough signal to get attention, and a vertical would have been NG due to cross polarization loss... oh well. BTW Jack WA2V (SK) and I went way back to 1965 on Chicken Band, his sharp wit made us laugh hysterically. Now tell me, didn't he look like Chuck Norris?

28.410 Ocean County Net.jpg

Joe Walsh WB6ACU.jpg
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 02-11-2021 at 11:36 AM.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA