Thread: Nano vna - an effective learners guide

Nano vna - an effective learners guide

The title indicates my need, more than a specific resource I have to offer. I recently bought a nanovna because I wanted something that I can test antennas with that won't fry my low serial number Icom 706llg. Problem for me is finding a tutorial that makes sense to me.

Any suggestions for a reasonable resource for a crash course in antenna theory as it relates to using a vna? Google hasn't exactly been my friend. Thanks for your input.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Not prepared at the moment. I have a borrowed one, that worked but it was fussy and hard to use.
    Mostly because of fat fingers on the touch screen. But it solved a problem after I calibrated it.
    The mystery was, how the HELL did that balun melt down? A new experience for me.

Smith charts are weird, but useful as hell. I did them by plotting measurements years ago.

Since it is 2021, not as worried about my budget. I had a buncha 1099s for consulting, being frugal.
    Figured that out, retirement is weird. Guesstimate budget, and knowing where I am at...

I got this one a few days ago. Bigger 4.3" screen, later generation, easier to use.
    It will help me test the loaner which gets a little flakey with fat fingers. MITF.

Amazon.com: NanoVNA-F Vector Network Analyzer SWR Meter Smith【Upgraded】 Hardware V3.1,10KHz-1.5GHz 4.3 Inch IPS TFT Shortwave MF HF VHF Portable Handheld Antenna Analyzer: Home Audio & Theater
    Last edited by WØTKX; 01-18-2021 at 10:39 PM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

What's the biggest display they come with?

I used to use an HP VNA that was about 19" on a side and weighed close to 100lbs. It was a darn solid piece of gear and I'll see about laying another one in sometime, but this setup looks pretty slick.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

This one is around 4", similar to this Galaxy S3. It's likely able to be connected to another larger screen but not certain if that will change the readings it gets. I'm also waiting on some adapters for the sma to uhf connection so I haven't tried using it yet.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    What's the biggest display they come with?
    This class is a price point thing. It was about $140.00. There may be others >$250
    Probably the larger ones. Apps you can dump the data to, post measurement.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman