Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Am Mad As Hell and I Am Not Going To Take This Anymore

I Am Mad As Hell and I Am Not Going To Take This Anymore

Have you ever wanted to thrash, destroy and, pitch something off the roof of the tallest building in sight?

That's how I feel about my HP Officejet All-In-One Printer/Scanner/Fax Machine. This is not a "one-off" problem, this printer is a replacement for a previous HP Officejet machine (same printer, upgraded model number and new skins) that had the same idiosyncrecies.

I have gone through the Troubleshooting procedures using their Find-and-Fix application associated with the program but, this is just more Mental Masturbation than it is of fixing the problem.

I'm just walking away from it for awhile.

I kicked ink jet printers of all makes and models to the curb 10 years ago. They always seemed to work fine for a short time, then start having problems with drivers, head positioning, not to mention the cost of inks. Switched over to Brother laser printers and never looked back.
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

I have no printer.
    But a good friend 200 yards away with office at home with 4 professional laser printers, usb stick, get to him, get coffee, leave with printed stuff, done.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Well then why all the hostility Cor? The last time I vented my spleen on anything was decades ago when I built an FM stereo receiver from the chassis up using circuit schematics in the RCA Receiving Tube Manual. Since I like to tinker with things I did several modifications carefully documenting everything as I went along. Then after the last one the radio stopped working, one of those frustrating things where every circuit works perfectly but the unit doesn't. I backtracked to the last working stage several times with no luck, the receiver ended its sordid life as a mark on the cement basement shop wall.

We have something in common Cor, you borrowed that classic line from the 1976 movie Network, only I originated it and should have copyrighted it so I could get royalty payments. It was around 1968 or 9 when my 100W pirate AM station was the anchor for a small pirate network and we did guest DJ spots on each other's stations. I was guesting a record request call in show at our 40W FM affiliate and after a while got really annoyed at every other call requesting the same song. I pretended to throw a fit banging the mic around a bit, tossing the headphones down, getting up and shouting that classic line adding a threat to switch the transmitter off if one more caller requested that song. Naturally as expected the next caller called my bluff and I shut the transmitter off. The other guys were laughing hysterically by this time, a few minutes later we all calmed down and I switched the transmitter back on. To be a real snot I put that record on, then switched the turntable off letting it coast to a stop, and I spun the disc backward with my finger. That did the trick, I put the fear of RADIO GOD in them. (;->)
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by K4PIH View Post
    ...Switched over to Brother laser printers and never looked back.
    One of my long-time ham friends does a lot of story writing and needed a replacement for her old HP R40, as the thing wasn't quite supported by Windows 10. I went the Brother route for that setup and she's very happy with the results.

Under her front-room desk lurks another HP-in-one, and we're looking at alternatives for it too.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

i've been pretty happy with the brother printers, too. a few years ago i bought a dell printer (which is, basically, a rebadged brother) and it has worked well ... except that dell no longer supports any of the printers it sold. it works fine with every platform i've used it with (except alexa, which finds it but can't use it ... i'm fine with that).

when this dell quits (or when i can't buy toner for it economically) then i'll go back to brother printers.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

I had a number of printers over the years, the last was an HP printer/scanner/FAX combo that worked for a while and then developed clogged nozzle troubles. Cartridges being too expensive anyway I continued using the scanner to file rent checks. Here I don't need any of that, on the one occasion I needed legal docs printed I sent them to the liaison's office for printing. Here's the rub, cartridges cost as much as a new printer so you may as well buy a new printer, they're cheap enough. If you're so tight you squeak, find yourself a printer that won't say the cartridges are empty when disturbed and refuse to print. Then buy a refill kit the first time they run dry, and bottles of ink afterward. It's like oil, buy ink and you won't squeak anymore. ('->)
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    I had a number of printers over the years, the last was an HP printer/scanner/FAX combo that worked for a while and then developed clogged nozzle troubles. Cartridges being too expensive anyway I continued using the scanner to file rent checks. Here I don't need any of that, on the one occasion I needed legal docs printed I sent them to the liaison's office for printing. Here's the rub, cartridges cost as much as a new printer so you may as well buy a new printer, they're cheap enough. If you're so tight you squeak, find yourself a printer that won't say the cartridges are empty when disturbed and refuse to print. Then buy a refill kit the first time they run dry, and bottles of ink afterward. It's like oil, buy ink and you won't squeak anymore. ('->)
    Just kick me.....

I'm on the "Ink Auto-refill" rip, Sons-of-biscuit-eaters - HP periodically charges my card and send me ink when I need it.

There's a price break on printers; unless you are willing to make an investment, you are stuck with the home office POS's

I've got a cheap slow Canon All-In-One MC255CW Wi-Fi only color ink jet.
    Rarely print, grayscale usually. Found OK supplier of refurb cartridges.
    Been running fine since 2008.

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman