Herein we restore, repair, modify and improve this transceiver - along with a few matching accessories.

A number of years ago I posted in a few threads about avoiding this rig due to reliability issues with the LPF switch unit (powered by a rotary stepper motor) along with an unimpressive receiver. Time goes by, and a few amateurs devise modifications to use discrete relays to switch the various filters in and out of circuit. Also notable is Sherwood's performance data, which appears to equal or slightly best the Drake TR-7 - another favorite rig of mine. This made me want to revisit the set. eBay and a couple of Internet searches netted me three project rigs, all in various stages of (dis)repair.

The main sticking point with all three was PLL alignment. Searches on the 'Net and through the ClassicIcom group on groups.io revealed little in the way of insight, but there was mention by a couple of hams that the documentation in the service manual was wrong in terms of what to do. Once I got the first rig up and running I applied what I learned to the others, and performed an IF Unit alignment of the first. The result...a dead-quiet receiver with no antenna connected, and one that can hear my signal generator at its lowest output on 10M.

I'll update each reply section with pics and info as I go. Some modifications will be included - captured so they don't get lost.