Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things That Make You Go "Hmmmmmmmmm", July 2020 Edition

Things That Make You Go "Hmmmmmmmmm", July 2020 Edition

So, the other day, I was searching around various sites for a particular item. (Don't worry about what, not important right now)

Among the places I looked was Gigaparts. Nice price on the item, but it's listed as Out of Stock, and they're not taking back orders. OK.

So today, I get an email from Gigaparts automation, asking me if I've thought about it, and how about a special offer to induce me to buy?

A whole, whopping 3% off. (That will save me about $3.30). If I buy today. On an item that's not in stock and that they're not taking back orders on.

An incentive to buy an item, today, that they've already told me they won't sell me, today.

Way to go, Gigaparts!
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Oops. Sounds like right hand is grabbing ass while left hand is running off a batch.

Is there a way to talk to an actual person there? Maybe drop an email to let them know how it went. Or try Terraparts, they have a factor more parts.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Oops. Sounds like right hand is grabbing ass while left hand is running off a batch.

Is there a way to talk to an actual person there? Maybe drop an email to let them know how it went. Or try Terraparts, they have a factor more parts.
    I had to see if it was real.

It's real.

https://www.terraparts.com/

I was making a funny about going from giga to terra and look what I get. LOL

What a weird event Ron. It really shows how fragile our systems are. Or can get.
    Last edited by WZ7U; 07-21-2020 at 01:26 AM. Reason: cuz i can

Like that post was...

Well, I'm more amused than anything.

Coding issue, you see. Someone didn't allow for the possibility that the widget in question was currently unavailable.

But it is a touch disturbing to realize how you are being monitored online. Clearly the system "remembered" me doing the daily drawing entry. Another sign that what little personal privacy you (and your data) were thought to have are crumbling away, little by little.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 2K!!

I have two friends who won't have anything to do with the internet for that very reason. Knda smart in retrospect.

Like that post was...

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Clearly the system "remembered" me doing the daily drawing entry.
    Cookies and browser history are a thing, and so is the data analysis engine which warehouses and processes such.

The answer you seek is termed separation of function. Multiple systems for multiple things, and throwaway IP addresses - proxied if possible - for general surfing and 'Net interaction. Ditto throwaway email accounts.

One which is never used for anything else if you play on the Book of Faces. Likewise Twitter.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I have never trusted Faceplant. No desire to ever have an account with those data-suckers.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 2K!!

Faceplant, that's a good one! I don't mingle with the twits either, it only got worse since it became contaminated by Agent Orange. I'm not so sure the corporate data miners that remember my on line purchases actually mine my data, Firefox cleans out cookies and history when each session closes so there's nothing to mine. It's more like they remember what I entered (I hold no accounts) at checkout. For that reason throwaway e-mail, proxies, and even a VPN are useless. Privacy isn't being eroded, it vanishes about a decade ago, and it isn't just the Internet, (e-mail too unless you use encryption) when you step out the door Big Brother is watching you. Things that go bump in the night are the real men in black.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.