Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things That Make You Go "Hmmmmmmmmm", July 2020 Edition

Unfortunately

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Because if you do, everything you say is picked up by the mic. Every place you go is tracked. Timed. Noted and stored.
    Anytime you use a device, whether it is a tablet, laptop, desktop, etc, the proximity of your phone can link you to that device, and also, based on what sites you visit on that device. It's a game of 1+1=3.
    That means while there could be dozens of people in your proximity using FB, IG and Twitter, once you're at a site like say, Hamis Land for example, that's considered a match towards the profile linked to you and your habits.
    While most of the time it really doesn't matter, each of us is considered a potential criminal in the search for enemies against the state. The real problems for us start when we have a POTUS that could use this information to punish people who are against his reelection.
    Back in the 90's there was much talk of overzealous law enforcers using technology to circumvent the Constitution to make arrests and convictions and have the ability to manipulate the data they obtain. Today it is a very real threat.
    It sounds crazy. Right? Look where we are today. We have an outlaw POTUS and his party won't do a thing to reign him in.

Minority Report anyone?

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

These days paranoia is protection, when you stop for a minute and think there are ways to preserve your personal freedom. Of course there is no way to avoid cameras, just be thankful they're not linked to The Central Scrutinizer (to borrow from Frank Zappa) like London where New Scotland Yard can track an individual anywhere in the city above and below ground. That having been said there are other parts of your asses that can be covered like the Internet. Cutting to the quick, a VPN gives an encrypted tunnel end to end, Big Brother can only know the server on the far end, never you if you have a good one that keeps no logs, and even the VPN won't know anything about you if you pay in cryptocurrency. Then there is encrypted e-mail, if you generate your own certs you're completely anymouse (spelling intentional) to all but those you correspond with. Lastly if you don't want your face in the book don't be a twit, avoid social media, social distancing far far away. I really didn't have to tell you all this, now did I?
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

I don't use social media, phone has bluetooth out permanently, Using anonymous browsers filled with extra gadgets to stay anonymous, tv off the internet, phone used to make calls if needed and as travel companion connected to car system running music or stuff on the nav system.
    Even being care full the outside world has enough knowledge about you.
    I try to limit that as far i can including having killed off the phone home W 10 gadgets and stuff .
    No need to give it for free is it?
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Google seems to be everywhere on Android cellphones so I remove any maps or tracking pertaining to Google, I know where I've been and don't need a reminder. I found a locator map application that's handy (in case I'm lost in the fog on a Welsh hillside?, not likely) and has no connection with the Big Boys.

It seems very hard to whittle down all the unwanted apps on a cellphone without closing it down completely.

My new (used) SmartyPhone asked me how I liked Burger King. Hey man, I had a coopin!
    Found the Nav App settings to turn off. It's a Pixel 3 Google Monster Phone.

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

The Pixel 3XL is a good phone. I'm waiting for the 5XL. No "a" models. I've been eligible for an upgrade since mid this month.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    I'm waiting for the 5XL.
    so am i, but the rumor is that there won't be a 5xl ... just a 5. :(

my original 3xl suffered from battery expansion, so google replaced it (just a few days after the warranty had expired).
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post
    so am i, but the rumor is that there won't be a 5xl ... just a 5. :(

my original 3xl suffered from battery expansion, so google replaced it (just a few days after the warranty had expired).
    Well, let's hope it's big enough for old people. XLplus anyone?