Thread: Check Your CC Statements Lately?

Check Your CC Statements Lately?

So, one of my credit card bills is due today, and as usual, I went online to the bank's site and paid it.

Funny thing, though... I noticed a $35.13 charge from OnStar the beginning of this month. Unauthorized. So I went and looked, and discovered that this had been going on for months.

Well, that is partially my own fault. Usually, there are a few transactions between the OnStar charge and when I go to pay, on this card, so I hadn't caught it before.

So how did OnStar get my CC number? Back in September 2018, the Boss and I traded in my 2008 Chevy Trailblazer (which was going to require $$$$ to pass inspection) for a 2018 Chevy Equinox. At that time, we signed up for the "free for the first 90 days" service. I THOUGHT I had cancelled it before the 'trial period' was done...

...besides, last summer, my CC had expired. The bank issued me a new one a month before, standard procedure. Since I thought I had cancelled, I never gave the new expiration date or CSC (security) code to OnStar; why would I? So, why did the charges start up again? We'd even gotten emails that basically said "hey! your card information on file is out of date, please update it!" Again, the account was allegedly cancelled, so why would I?

Turned out that they hadn't actually cancelled it. Reason was that the OnStar account was in my wife's name (it was her car, and her name was first on the title); they claim that she never verified the cancellation. Right. (*cough**BS**BS**BS**BS**BS**cough*). Trust me, she did, but I digress.

You may have noted that I refer to the Equinox in the past tense. Some folks here on the Island know this, most don't... back last October 24th, the Boss was in a bad car accident. Her right leg was badly broken; not to worry, she has healed pretty well, and is almost back to walking normally again. The Equinox? Gave it's 'life' to save her. Engine compartment was demolished. I have pictures.

So, OnStar was charging us a monthly fee, for the last 9 months, for a vehicle that no longer exists.

I opened a dispute through the bank. They told me to contact OnStar while they investigate, it will take about 10 days, but I'll get a provisional credit. The agent couldn't guarantee it, but was pretty sure I'd win the dispute. Well, disputes, 9 of them, one for each month.

Then I called OnStar. Took forever to get a hold of someone, but I explained everything... then verified my identity.. four times. THEN they wanted to talk with my wife. THEN she had to talk with a supervisor.

50 minutes from start to finish. But, they agreed, finally, to credit me back to the date of the accident. $324 and change. Should have it in 3 - 5 days. Once it's processed, I'll call the bank back and cancel the disputes... once it's processed.

I know, I know. TL:DR. Bottom line is... check your statements. You never know what's lurking in there.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

If I ever make enough money to not scrutinize my statements, slap the shit outta me.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I hav always checked my accounts since i have a bank account in 1982.
    No paper to check, i can do it online.
    My CC is only used for big spends like the FT991A so it was extra insured, and paid off immediately.
    Logging in the bank account online needs a double check though, yep, save but a bit of a hassle.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

To the bikers in the era when I grew up, "OnStar" was a well-equipped tool roll with a few extra bolts, nuts, washers in common sizes...wire, tape, wire ties, a piece of fuel line, a couple hose clamps. A couple extra spark plugs for good measure.

Bonus points for keeping the 16" front wheel when you chopped your FL. That way you only needed one spare tube in your road bag. Extra bonus for doing all PM (including a fresh top end, tires, brakes and driveline stuff) BEFORE you went on the road for extended periods.

As far as the unseen charges bit goes...read the fine print prior to agreeing to any of these services. I won't enable nanny technology in my vehicles. especially if I have to pay a monthly fee. Need roadside assistance? AAA and my various motorcycle organization membership plans cover this.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Always a good idea to read, really read, the fine print. And I did at the time ( to the minor annoyance of the salesperson at the Chevy dealership )

Thing is, the credit card HAD expired, and they did NOT have all of the current information. So how DID they manage to make the charges? (Answer is... or appears to be... that for the relative small sum each month, it may have been below the threshold for being scrutinized. Or they have some other way around that.)

So, just to do a small update...

I did talk with OnStar on Saturday, they promised me a 'full' refund of 9 months worth of charges, dating back to the accident, in '4 or 5' days. Today marks 5 days. No refund yet, but the day is not over, as I type this.

I do have provisional credit from the Bank, including interest roll-back. The bank person said I should hear something after 10 to 15 days. At which time, if OnStar hasn't done the refund yet, I'll bring this up with them. I have no doubts that eventually, the provisional credit will be replaced with a permanent one, one way or another.

So, one may be wondering, why did I only backdate the credit request to the accident that totaled the vehicle, and not back to when the CC expired? I could have. I chose not to. Simply because of... the accident. When it happened, OnStar DID do what they promise to do, and immediately called for help, and all that. Demanding ~$100 credit when they DID summon help seems a bit... Trumpish. So I'll let this one slide. This time. (And it won't be an issue on her 'new' car... a 2017 Nissan Rogue. No OnStar on that!)
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I had an interesting go-around with my CC folks.

I work for a retailer ("Fleece-You") in a Brick-and-mortar store that also has an online presence (Fleece-You.com). Your employee discount (10%) is tied to your Sign-in Bar code -- (Small print applies - my CC was associated with ID.)

The online outlet had an item for 50 bucks cheaper than the store so, I went online and ordered the item from our sister store across town with the intent of paying for it with my employee discount and the "Bent-sential" Worker "Bonus".

1. Online fulfillment is handled by a third party company owned by Target
    2. I get to the store to pay and pick it up only to find that my CC had already been debited.
    3. I request that the store accept the return of the item; they refuse.
    4. I pay for the item a second time with all discounts applied using a different CC.
    5. I contact 1st CC company and dispute charges after contacting customer service at my company.
    6. Company issues new CC and credits my account for the cost of the item.
    7. Before I get new card, I get bill showing that Fleece-you.com pushed the charge through.
    8. I again dispute the transaction on a CC that I never even received and account is credited.
    9. New CC arrives and I check my account and, it is over credited by 2 X the price I paid.
    10. It takes two billing cycles before they figure out something is wrong;
    11. They snatch back the over payment and send me a bill for the things purchased on "credit". LOL

tl:dr My CC (the fine print) which is tied up with my employee discount was accessed and charged even after I changed the CC number twice, it was continually updated in the company data base "automatically."

Oh BTW, I had to involve management at my store to get involved with management at fleece-you.com customer service before they would issue a refund for the item I had paid for twice.