Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarianism

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Vegetarianism

British citizens in the Victorian era often suffered from gastric aliments including constipation. Just as today, consumption of excess meat was blamed for much of this and, of course, the suggestion was lampooned by the cartoonists of the day.
    1852.jpg

The wealthy resorted to their pharmacists to cure constipation, most of the pills and potions contained a high proportion of soap, the lesser folk drank a great deal of beer which is a fine cure. The upper echelons would often retreat to Spa towns to drink the mineral waters, these having some content of hydrogen sulphide, smelling and tasting foul but a splendid purge.

That's my contribution to divert attention away from the current putrid politics in the US for 5 minutes.

I eat very little red meat these days, mostly chicken and turkey for protein. We have a woman at work who is vegan. She is 62, but looks about 40. There is definitely something to be said for increasing fruit and veg and reducing meat.
    Stay healthy my friends.

The food here sucks so eating little of something that looks like meat is easy. Red meat I haven't seen in a long time, the kitchen monkeys turn it into something a shoemaker (Remember those?) could use for soles. Restaurants have chefs, diners have cooks,we have kitchen monkeys. Chicken legs are OK, I don't know what they do with the rest of the chicken, and turkey breast is debatable, sometimes OK, other times you can tie it to a stick and use it as a hammer. Veggies are slightly undercooked making them cripsy except for the sweet potato purée.

That having been said, the cartoon somehow made me think of this...

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Eating less meat as well, though I'll never give up, cooking most meals myself here for us from absolute fresh products from my plot of land or a local butcher i know for decades, cost a bit more but quality is what i want.
    Dropped my BMI under 25 the last year, and aiming at a BMI of 20 or so, gave up on snacks and cookie stuff, just portioned my meals better and get more exercise.
    Took off 45 pounds the last 2 years, 12 pounds in the last 6 months.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

^ Stuff that.....
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Sometimes I eat it dry, raw with just a club soda to wash it down.

Shit, I do the same thing except without the club soda. Usually a coke and a smile.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I make giant 1" thick 12" oatmeal pancakes with berries bananas, and extra egg.

Really fun to pan flip 'em. Cut in quarter slices like pizza, top with butter.
    I put them in Tupperware to save for tomorrow's breakfast.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    I make giant 1" thick 12" oatmeal pancakes with berries bananas, and extra egg.

Really fun to pan flip 'em. Cut in quarter slices like pizza, top with butter.
    I put them in Tupperware to save for tomorrow's breakfast.
    Hey Dave, ya ever take a raw clove of garlic and bit into it followed by an anchovy after a 2 or 3 chews of the garlic?
    Ya ever chase that down with an IPA so cold it was just on the brink of freezing had you not just picked up the tankard?