Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a Yaesu FT 991A radio

Just bought a Yaesu FT 991A radio

Cut the knot, and ordered the FT 991a for the collection, with cable for RJ 45 to 8 pin microphone connector.
    My 22 year old FT 847 with Collins SSB filters just does fine, but i reckon looking at the specs the new 991a will do better on HF and VHF/UHF.
    The FT 2000 D will get serviced and sold off as I will do with the FT 847.
    Thinking of keeping the FT 100 with Collins AM filter as spare.
    Looking forward when it will arrive next week.
    New toys for boys...
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Nice!
    You got tRump checks too?

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Nope, just frugal living on my pension and saving up each month ;)
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Of course not, you have common sense and discipline. Plus the foresight to have post employment income available.

I would be interested in a review of sorts after you've had a few [insert favorite time frame here] to get properly acquainted. As long as I don't have to go to eHam to read it.

Like that post was...

Picking the FT 991a was a no brainer for me, i need 2/70 all mode as well in the box.
    Both the Icom 9300 as well the Yaesu FT 991A don't miss much on HF in their receivers, the DSP and N.B are better in the Yaesu FT991a, which is a good thing to have on the edge of the city, less if you live on the land without man made noise.
    My FT 847 and FT 100 are both 22 years young, never let me down, if the FT 991 a does that as well i'm happy, the Ft 2000-D is not really young as well, and transceiver wise did not really add much to the FT 847 with Collins filters.
    So, a bit downsizing in format of transceivers, i'm having the shack in my living room, with SB-1000 of Heathkit, and with the FT 2000-D it became a bit overdone.

I never bought transceiver based on Sherwood status, i just look at what my needs are, do chose a decent receiver or add ( collins ) filters.
    The new FT 991 A comes with 3 KHz roofing filter, excellent DSP and N.B, and very decent receiver.

Since I lack the real estate I'll have to do with the average dutch plot and antenna's i have set up here.
    Vertical 77 feet with autotuner for 160/80/40/20.
    Fritzel FD4 lengthened for 160 - 6 meters yes it works on 6 meters as well bar 2 WARC bands.
    Imax 2000 for 10/12/15/18.
    Diamond X510N 2/70 vertical at 55 feet high.

So on all HF bands i can chose horizontal/vertical antenna's whatever one works best at that moment, and all suited for the 900 watts my Heathkit SB-1000 delivers in normal working mode. It will do 1000 watts, but i dont like stressing things.

Noise levels here on the edge of the small provincial city are still relative low, but might change over time so a good set of tools fighting it like the good DSP and N.B are important.
    Having 50 watts all mode on 2/70 is fun, you will be surprised how far you can get even vertical when the bands open, with no conditions i can work most repeaters 60 miles+ away.

C4FM, nice bonus, not interested in that ( yet), later when winter arrives i can dip my feet into that.
    Looked at both transceivers ( Icom 7300 and Yaesu FT 991 A ) but the lack of 2/70 made the choice easy, the larger display on the 7300 does not add that much to the transceiver as anyone would like to believe.
    Menu structures, I am familiar with Yaesu menu's so no beef there.
    Most are set and forget anyway...
    Audio, the FT 991 A has like the FT 2000 D 3 parametric egualisers so you can set it up as you like, helped by the MD1 microphone and EQplus of W2IHY i have i can tailor the microphone audio as needed.
    Speaker, use a good speaker, I have an old Kenwood SP 820 speaker with a 5 " speaker inside and 2 high cut and one low cut filter.
    Front available head set connection.
    Crisp bright display with enough reserve to be good readable even in sunlight, in my living room.
    For the 1290 Euro i paid cheap as chips looking at the package you get.
    My old FT 847 with Collins filters cost new in 1998 a whopping 6600 Guilders or 3000 Euro's ....in a time the guilder was worth more.
    The relative small transceiver makes it possible to take it with me on holidays with a small switched mode P.S. and MFJ 993B tuner and homebrew FD-4.

That was the reasoning i chose the FT 991 A, after a decent trial period i get back with the results in real life on real antenna's and in practice.

Just added a new 30 amp power supply as well, the older SEC 1223 is now 13 years old and much used.
    Nissei-NS-2230D is the new one, digital read out voltage and amps, 28 amp continuous and 30 amp max.
    Anderson power poles in front standard banana plugs on the back.
    https://www.hspshop.it/NISSEI-NS-230...A-POWER-SUPPLY
    Next to be delivered are 3
    SUNON MF60251V1-1 very quiet 60x60x 25 mm ventilators to replace the ventilator in the FT 991a which has standard ball bearing Panasonic fan, by the Sunon maglev vapo bearing is a 4 dB quieter ventilator with higher cf/m.
    Same ventilator will be in the new PSU so that one might be replaced as well.
    https://www.reichelt.de/luefter-60-x...1-p252983.html
    Uses 1/2 the power of the panasonic original fan as well.
    Last edited by PA5COR; 07-07-2020 at 09:49 AM.

IMG_0266.jpgFT991A arrived this afternoon with Heil adaptor RJ 45 microphone connector to yaesu 8 pin conector and 3 fans i ordered.
    Been busy till now to set the wished settings for receiver and audio and the rest of the settings, made a few qso's on all mode's and as it looks now all succesfull, not did the 3 band equalizer yet thoug, just the EQplus settings directly.
    Initial conclusion, good receiver, good several methodes to fight noise and dig low signals from the noise.
    VHF/UHF comes with the EU version luckily with N connector.
    Output on H.F. and 6 meter 120 watts PEP, VHF/UHF 55 watts for 2 meter 53 watts for 70 cm's.
    Not opened the transceiver just amateur bands.
    Picture bad, will make better quality later.

Island Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    VHF/UHF comes with the EU version luckily with N connector.
    So you like N sockets?
    Next time you come to Canberra I'll buy you some drinks and we'll talk about connectors...

IMG_0267.jpgNice look on the back.
    Always build my stuff pure with N connectors, everything from 6 meters up.
    All my transverters, P.A.'s, coaxial cables etc for 50 MHZ up N connectors good quality.
    If i had gotten the USA model i would have removed the luxury banana plug and replaced it with N.

So, my Diamond X 510N now runs directly into the N connector on the back, since the 991 A comes with swr meter build in no problem.

You can get a US version in the EU?

Like that post was...