Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fun Project for the next couple days

Fun Project for the next couple days

trans.jpgshift.jpg

Pulled the trans out of my truck. Time for a rebuild. The old A833 OD has seen better days. Was hoping to get it done today but with some parts not in the kit it will be waiting. It only has 489,000 miles on it.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

I take it you've done this before.

That's no fun if you don't have a lift.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    I take it you've done this before.
    I Have done it with Automatics. This will be my first Manual rebuild. Can't be to much different from Industrial gearboxes of which I have rebuilt a few.

some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    That's no fun if you don't have a lift.
    Truck is on a set of ramps and I pulled it on a floor jack. I would love to have a lift.

Manual should be a breeze. Not that I've done one. I have not. I can only rely on what the locals say.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Manual should be a breeze. Not that I've done one. I have not. I can only rely on what the locals say.
    Speaking in terms of motorcycle transmissions, they're a lot easier to work on than automatics. In some cases (HD, for example) you need some special disassembly/assembly tools but an enterprising individual can make these in a machine shop if need be.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I had the same transmission in my 70 Challenger. Nothing odd in it other than the oil pump (front two gears in constant mesh have 3 holes drilled into the counter shaft gear) and the fact that for the cars you use only ATF. Even on my 440 sixpack. Truck might be different. And check your shift forks, I had one break off on me.
    I thought religions were prophet based organizations.
    What do you mean I am out of money? I still have checks!
    Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic

Quote Originally Posted by AA1OH View Post
    I had the same transmission in my 70 Challenger. Nothing odd in it other than the oil pump (front two gears in constant mesh have 3 holes drilled into the counter shaft gear) and the fact that for the cars you use only ATF. Even on my 440 sixpack. Truck might be different. And check your shift forks, I had one break off on me.
    Truck calls for 80w90 and unlike your 70 Challenger has an Aluminum case and an Overdrive 4th. I will be pulling the case apart in the morning. Had to order a plug for the countershaft which is only needed on the OD.

I also had a aluminum OD and bell housing in my 64 Valiant slant 6 conv. Put it in my self. Never had to pull it apart. The cast iron one I did rebuild. I did think long and hard about putting OD gears in the Challenger (4:10 Dana 60) but it is a numbers matching. Not so much the 64.
    I thought religions were prophet based organizations.
    What do you mean I am out of money? I still have checks!
    Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic