Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fun Project for the next couple days

Well off to get a used trans tomorrow. I found one two hours away from me. Got the old one torn down and found a couple issues. Major issue 1 was the input shaft had significant wear where it meets the main shaft. The main shaft was just badly worn where it mated with the input shaft rollers. The 3/4 slider had wear and brass build up from the grenaded syncro. Also found that the trans was not original. It was a rebuilt unit from Man-trans in Florida. That was not in the receipts that came with the truck so I would assume it was done by one of the used car dealers that had it in its life. Shame is an used input shaft is amost as much as a used trans. I will put the rebuild kit on the shelf for when the the next trans gives issues.
    its apart.jpgbroken.jpg

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

That sucks....
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    That sucks....
    Yes it does. 4 hour round trip this morning to get a used transmission. Good part is that one was available. Replacement shafts are as much as the used trans and either used or reconditioned. Well time to get going.

some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Back home with the used transmission. Anybody need a 318/340/360 v8 bell housing. at 95 degrees is is a bit warm to stick it in today. I will swap the bell housing and put it in tomorrow. Nice low mileage trans that has been sitting i their warehouse for a while.

Island Regular
    You have all the bits ready?

When I moved to VK my employer offered to pay "a door to door 40 ft container". So I ended bringing the Defender, the camping trailer and a pile of tools instead of furniture.

I thought it would take me like three months to convert it from LHD to RHD... but it ended being four years and three months...

Last edited by VK1EA; 07-04-2020 at 09:06 AM. Reason: edited to insert photo

The truck lives. The Used transmission is in great shape. The shifting is smooth and easy. I did discover that the trans that came out was a crappy rebuild. The old transmission had the wrong first gear for the 6 cylinder where this newer one has the right first even though it came out of a V8 truck. No more 35 mph in first, 25 is the new limit. The truck had the wrong U-joint at the rear of the driveshaft. replacing that with the right one made the 65 mph vibration go away. Man-trans (the rebuilder of the old trans) had the wrong shifter arms on the side of the trans. I have only had the truck for the last 94000 miles of its life. The rest of the miles were well documented except for a couple years. I am guessing in the couple of years is where the wrong rebuilt trans, U-joint and the computer removal took place. It sure is nice to pull off the line without having to feather the clutch. The 3.09 first makes a difference when compared to the 2.47 that crappy rebuild had in it. The wife is extra happy as I don't need to use her car to get to work.

Quote Originally Posted by VK1EA View Post
    You have all the bits ready?

When I moved to VK my employer offered to pay "a door to door 40 ft container". So I ended bringing the Defender, the camping trailer and a pile of tools instead of furniture.

I thought it would take me like three months to convert it from LHD to RHD... but it ended being four years and three months...

I have a project like that.... This year will be spent working on her.. The truck ate into my project time. The truck is the daily driver..... Nessie on the other hand is my 76 Travco Mahal Motorhome. It is time to put the EFI in her and do some remodeling to get a queen bed in her. New AC seals and clearance lights on the roof with many other improvements. I am planning on replacing the roof rack with solar panels. That will start next weekend again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Island Regular
    A queen bed? now I'm really envious.

Quote Originally Posted by VK1EA View Post
    A queen bed? now I'm really envious.
    Don't you go falling in love, Clark.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Don't you go falling in love, Clark.
    Cousin Eddie had a Ford Condor....