Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New (old) Imax 2000 ready for the roof.

Please don't turn your roof into an antenna farm. (;->) We call these porcupines and the ham owners whackers.

Porcupine Whacker @ Dayton 2008.jpg
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Please don't turn your roof into an antenna farm. (;->) We call these porcupines and the ham owners whackers.

It looks like those magmounts are the only thing holding the fenders and hood on the car...
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

All those magnets, and I think I see a thru-the-glass mount on the back window.

He didn't want to drill holes in that POS? Love the duct tape job on the front bumper...
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Imax 2K working fine, 10/11/12/15/18, 18 needs tuner help 1:2.2 or so.
    Already worked the world round on 15 in FT-8 ausies New Zealand China, Thailand South Africa, South America, USA, canada just need 4 states to have worked all USA states.
    On 10 a few nice ones when the band was a bit open.
    Running 18 meters very low loss Aircom + to it, overkill coax but hey it was here to be used...
    Tried Amplifier, Heathkit SB 1000 running 800 watts on 15 , 12 , 10 working fine as the old one did.
    SWR on the bands lower as 1: 1.5 worst swr, most 1: 1.2.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

There's a bumper under that duct tape? Rest assured in a few months that tape weathered off and he regretted using indoor tape outdoors. You mean hedidn't want to put MORE holes in it, you're looking right at one. That was Dayton 2008, I was there in 2000 IIRC the last one before the roof fell in, no porkies to be seen BUT I just HAD to get a picture of my evil twin brother. I was SO embarrassed, point, shoot, split!

So Cor you're doing fine with the newly repaired Imax, that's GREAT! According to NAVPERS, US Navy radio training manuals I had back in the day, tube transmitters with pi network outputs tolerated well SWR up to 3:1. Well, if it's military it's built to withstand an atomic bomb! My last job was electrical quality control in process and final for a company making magnetic components, transformers, chokes, etc. for military applications, you wouldn't believe how tight tolerances are. I wouldn't worry about a 1:1.5 SWR, that's only a 50 ohm transmitter looking into a 75 ohm load like a dipole. Using a trusty Bird 43 in line watt meter you see actual forward and reflected watts, then use the SWR conversion chart if that really matters.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

That was Dayton 2008.
    I have a few pics of it and similar vehicles from the 2004-2015 Dayton era. One of the locals also has a car festooned with at least a couple dozen antennas. The guy is into 2-way radio in a professional capacity and as a prospective customer I'd run in the opposite direction were that vehicle to pull in to my facility for purposes of a quote.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Daiwa CN 801 real PEP reading meter used modified so it shows SWR also in pep mode.
    The Heathkit doesn't care on 18 with that SWR, i watch the current back off a little and let it rip, the new 3-500ZG gets nice red during the work.
    On the 77 feet high vertical i use the MFJ998 legal limit autotuner for 160 to 20.
    So i have on all HF bands the choice of vertical or horizontal antenna use with the Fritzel FD-4 with coil and wire on the short end for 160 to 6 meters.
    My roof did look like a porcupine several verticals, 23 element 70 cm beam 12 element 2 meter beam 5 element 6 meter beam, took the beams down getting too old to maintain them and rotor and bearings.
    Will add omnidirectional 2/70 horizontal antenna this summer, then i'm done, the Diamond X 510 N works fine in FT 8 but i need horizontal for SSB on 2/70.

Pictures on qrz.com from he old situation.
    Last edited by PA5COR; 03-31-2021 at 03:51 PM.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution