Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New (old) Imax 2000 ready for the roof.

Well, sorted, up and away, SWR on 2/70 nowhere worse as 1: 1.4
    See ( hopefully) attachment, from left to right, Imax 2000, 77 feet vertical for 160 - 20 with autotuner fed then Diamond X 510N
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Another piccie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Be safe young man!

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Yeah, the heart is young, pity my back and muscles don't agree with it....
    I have to climb out of the little window, 1 foot square, pull up some tiles to make a "ladder" till i reach the roof top.
    Handling an 5.2 meter long antenna standing on a roof tile and chimney isn't that funny at my age...
    It helps being 1 inch shy of 7 feet tall though.

Gigantic and brass. Clang clang!

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I rather think they shriveled a bit standing up there...

Calculated the antenna/fed syatem
    Gain antenna on 2 meter 8.5 DBi, 70 11.7DBi
    Real gain 6.3DBd and 9.4DBd
    Coax losses 16 meters including N connectors
    0.544 for 2 meter, 0.976 for 70 cm's
    Leaves 2 meters gain 5.8 DBd, 70 8.31 DBd gain at the transceiver.

Just for giggles...
    Most repeaters up to 30 miles S9+40, repeaters up to 60 miles S9.
    Local hams up to 70 miles with 50 watts FM, 90 miles with SSB.
    This IS a flat pancake country....
    Last edited by PA5COR; 06-22-2020 at 02:00 AM.

Ah, you lucked out with the terrain. I'm down in a valley.

I'm sure you're happy the antenna project is finished with some great results. Lucky you living in a pancake country, just keep those pumps running. (;->) The flying public doesn't know what I know having worked 7 years at Newark (NJ) International Airport, it's 2 meters below sea level built on a filled in swamp, is surrounded by a moat and has a pumping station that runs 24/7/365.

Water out of the way, I live on a sandy pancake that is NJ below Raritan Bay so I've had similar experiences but not the range you have on 2M and 70cM before becoming a paper ham. On the latter band the only activity was on the NJ Network of repeaters that covered the entire state and into southeast Pennsylvania, target areas selected by DTMF tones. The thing that irked me about 2M was nobody within FM simplex range wanted to move off the repeaters. I mean when you have a group where everybody is within simplex range of each other why tie up the repeater? Then there is SSB that nobody used except during troposphereic band openings, and along our Atlantic coast they are legendary. The difference I see since you only have vertical antennas is you can work other SSB stations vertically, here every mode except FM being vertical for mobiles is horizontal. I having had no horizontal antennas couldn't work SSB except one time I found two stations near New York City using vertical... and so it goes on the sandy pancake.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

We Dutch have 2000 years experience how to keep our feet dry, and that has become an export hit as well.. ;)
    I used to have up there a 5 element 6 meter beam, a 12 element flexa yagi for 2 meter and a 23 element flexa yagi for 70 cm's and on top of that was the X 510N.

3 years back after storm number xxx i took it all down, the clamps around the chimney are 2"by 2" 316 Stainless steel with S.S. thread ends holding it together, but the antenna's needed maintenance and i was becoming older and have to do things alone up there.. so I ended my time of 15 years of having beams up there, and working all Europe the middle east and North Africa on most of the bands from 6 meter up.

Here up north of the country it IS flat, so a good gain vertical freestanding has some punch, even for direct contacts on 2/70.
    If there are conditions i will hit them and not miss them as is possible with a beam in the wrong direction, and after the first reflection the polarization can be anything as it is with a beam.

With the gain low at the horizon with the vertical like with a beam I don't miss much, for 50 MHz i use the FD-4 off center fed which does quite fine there with it's 140 feet length at 12 meters above ground, this one with coil and added wire at the short end is also in resonance at 1850 or 160 meters and usable on most HF bands, with the 23 meter vertical and autotunerMFJ 998 i can chose from 160 to 20 between horizontal and vertical, 18 15 12 and 10 the Imax vertical or OCF as well.

I have the Yaesu FT 847 with Collins filters, and my modifications, the Yaesu FT 100 mobile rig 160 - 70, and the FT 2000 - D and Heathkit SB 1000 with rebuild innards and new 3-500ZG tube.
    I have the luck the ground here is young silty sea clay, so that helps in far field gain and reflections and good ground as with 3000 feet of copper radials in/on the ground.

Last thing to do on the roof is to replace the bend stick holding up the balun of the OCF .... just need to make new clamps for it the next weeks, i have enough polyester sticks left to make something nice of that and straight....and painted white
    Lots of lakes and canals here, so quite nice for tourists and flat country.
    Lots of repeaters as well, though i prefer working directly.
    Several repeater systems are coupled to each other forming a very large network so you can be working the whole country andbpart of Germany, the coversity project.
    Remember i live on a plot between other houses of 30 x 7 meters.. 90 times 20 feet.

Also one of the reasons i don't do digital modes, just phone.
    Last edited by PA5COR; 06-22-2020 at 01:13 PM.