Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: Not quite a boatanchor, but definitely in need of help

  1. #11
    Volcano Tamer W3WN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Castle Shannon, PA
    Times like this, I sure wish you took side jobs.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019


    Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

    Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

    Make Donald Drumpf Again.
    “Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

  2. #12
    Master Navigator K4PIH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Northern Virginia
    I like the GDT use.
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

  3. #13
    Administrator N8YX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Akron, OH
    Got Rob's kit of parts in last week and reworked the RF Board. One of the additions was an IF buffer board in place of C291 - the AM detector coupling capacitor. This helps improve detector linearity on all modes and is especially useful if you're going to run an external detector for synchronous AM (SAM).

    I plan to monitor the receiver IF outputs with a scope, so the boards will prevent loading the IF down when one is connected.

    A few assorted eBay transactions yielded two Yaesu FRT-7700 preselectors plus some connectors. These were originally marketed for use with their FRG-7700 receiver and have two flying-lead pigtails (one for MW broadcast band and the other for SW) to connect to the parent receiver's push-terminal antenna jacks. Job One was to swap these out for an RCA male-terminated run of RG-174 (SW range) and a female-terminated version of same (BC range). Luckily, two of the preselectors side-by-side are exactly the width of an NRD-515 so I can put both on the 10-12M lineup's middle radio.

    The reason for with many dual-conversion receivers, the problem of images arises. Not a big deal if you're far away from high-powered emitters, but one of the 10M Gang is right down the road and occasionally goes QRO. A passive preselector will help reduce image interference.

    So far, so good. When my order of RCA female connectors arrives I'm going to modify the NSD-NRD transceive cable and put a flying lead on the receiver side's RX Mute line so the secondary receiver can also be muted upon transmit.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts