Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pox on the creator of Windows 10

Pox on the creator of Windows 10

Damn Bill Gates and Microsoft to Hell and back again!

I knew back when, that Windows 10 did not have drivers to support some of the hardware installed in my PC and the peripherals dangling off of them. By choice, I continued to use Windows 7 which, allowed me to run dual monitors on my PC. I only used that PC in the radio room digital modes.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 on what is now considered a "Legacy" piece of equipment which, is undeserving of support because of some bullshit Vertical Marketing strategy based on "Design Obsolescent".

Now, my sound card and display adapter are stuck in some default driver mode that doesn't allow me to manipulate the inputs; Windows 10 (appears) has turned my inputs into output ports on my sound card and, I cannot extend my desktop, only mirror it on the other monitor. That has messed my amateur radio enjoyment.

Damn you Microsoft!

Hence the reason it is called Winblows.
    Stay healthy my friends.

Can you revert to Win 7?
    Quote Originally Posted by koØm View Post
    Damn Bill Gates and Microsoft to Hell and back again!

I knew back when, that Windows 10 did not have drivers to support some of the hardware installed in my PC and the peripherals dangling off of them. By choice, I continued to use Windows 7 which, allowed me to run dual monitors on my PC. I only used that PC in the radio room digital modes.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 on what is now considered a "Legacy" piece of equipment which, is undeserving of support because of some bullshit Vertical Marketing strategy based on "Design Obsolescent".

Now, my sound card and display adapter are stuck in some default driver mode that doesn't allow me to manipulate the inputs; Windows 10 (appears) has turned my inputs into output ports on my sound card and, I cannot extend my desktop, only mirror it on the other monitor. That has messed my amateur radio enjoyment.

Damn you Microsoft!
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Can you revert to Win 7?

That's my next to last option; I'm gonna drink a few cups of coffee over the next couple of days and make a decision, gonna investigate:

1. Buying a sound card that is Win-10 compatible.
    2. Upgrading the Display Adapter.
    3. Figuring out why my Digital mode are not working
    4. Reverting to Win 7
    5. Deciding that it has reached, 'The point of diminishing returns' and donate it to someone.

Oh, not necessarily in that order!

Ah yes, good old Windblows and planned obsolescence, I can't afford ~$2G to build a new machine so when Minya became the new Godzilla I stopped with W7 and I'm STILL happy with it. There's a new line of Intel CPUs that if you like Windblows you'll find it only supports the latest edition of W10 that makes an install a bit tricky, but there is an easy solution, they support Linux and Mac. Yes friends, Micro$haft has a new bed mate, Silicon Valley.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Get yourself enough CPU, RAM and disk space to run a host OS plus virtual machines. Then put Win7 in a VM.

My original thread "First post from Windows 10 System" in here didn't age so well. What I ended up doing is to set this system up with dual SSDs then configured it to dual-boot and installed Mint 19.3 Tricia (64 bit) as the host OS, selectable via BIOS as the UEFI boot device. Windows 10 now runs on the 'legacy' (MBR-partitioned) drive/file system and as a guest inside VirtualBox. The VB setup also features installations of Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bit), Windows XP (32 bit), Windows 98SE and FreeDOS. I'm eventually going to create VMs for OS/2 Warp 4 Server, EcommStation and Windows 8.1. With every OS that supports multiple monitors, VirtualBox handles this just fine. And it's got pretty decent network/multimedia peripheral support too.
    Last edited by N8YX; 04-11-2020 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Grammar
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by koØm View Post
    That's my next to last option; I'm gonna drink a few cups of coffee over the next couple of days and make a decision, gonna investigate:

1. Buying a sound card that is Win-10 compatible.
    2. Upgrading the Display Adapter.
    3. Figuring out why my Digital mode are not working
    4. Reverting to Win 7
    5. Deciding that it has reached, 'The point of dimin returns' and donate it to someone.

Oh, not necessarily in that order!
    i accept donations. Just sayin’...

Does the card manufacturer make a Win X driver available? If so, did you download and try it?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Your hardware must be ancient.

I've installed W10 on 2 motherboards that are nearly 11 years old. Specifically, this MB: https://www.supermicro.com/products/.../G45/C2SEA.cfm

All the built-in hardware, which includes 5 channel sound and dual display capabilities, works just fine.

There comes a point where you have to move on. Both of the above MBs are headed for electronic recycling, once this lockdown is over. Several old PC cases, old HDs (that still work) and old plug-in cards are also in the pile.

If you have a usable PC case, new hardware is reasonably affordable. Gut the inside and move up to something made in the last 2-3 years.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Magdalena,New Mexico-- more left than right
    there is always Linux....look at MX-Linux....

https://mxlinux.org/
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    Arch Linux OS
    "If you're not living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Your hardware must be ancient.

I've installed W10 on 2 motherboards that are nearly 11 years old. Specifically, this MB: https://www.supermicro.com/products/.../G45/C2SEA.cfm

All the built-in hardware, which includes 5 channel sound and dual display capabilities, works just fine.

There comes a point where you have to move on. Both of the above MBs are headed for electronic recycling, once this lockdown is over. Several old PC cases, old HDs (that still work) and old plug-in cards are also in the pile.

If you have a usable PC case, new hardware is reasonably affordable. Gut the inside and move up to something made in the last 2-3 years.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller
    Yup, it's time to move on............
    Last edited by koØm; 04-23-2020 at 07:41 PM.