Thread: Covid Response?

Covid Response?

Hi guys,

Just wondering what the response to the current crisis is in your ham radio circles?

Here in Berrien County MI our club instituted a daily "Health and Wellness" net on the county wide repeater. This is being attended heavily. We've been locked down since Tuesday.

We also have a social net on Saturday night which is being heavily attended. We're holding meetings via Zoom. Our Skywarn and emergency services nets have all added a health and welfare function.

While it hasn't been needed (yet) the membership is able to shop or retrieve medicine for anyone in need. We do have some elderly club members and we are looking out for them.

Also there is the social function to keep folks socially engaged.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Haven't checked our area repeaters much, but one of my cohorts has a very wide coverage 6M machine (53.170) that I imagine will see a fair share of H&W traffic if things get stupid.

An extension of that group is always around on 28.337. Which reminds me....I probably should put the 10/12M operating position back on the frequency...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

we have a local net nearly every night. of the two clubs that i belong to, one has killed off its meeting for march and april, and the other hasn't said anything (but i know their meeting won't happen because they happen in the same public facility that the first club uses).

nearly all the club members are in the "vulnerable" place (either by age or by "underlying conditions," including myself) so this is pretty much a good thing.

one dude, though, who runs the friday evening 220 net really shouldn't be running a net. he can't fucking hear anything. EVERYONE has to repeat their call sign multiple times. if it were occasional then i'd understand, but of the 45 checkins he's had to ask 40 of them to repeat their callsigns several times. could be his ears don't work, or it could be that the net op has a crappy antenna, but this is the worst!
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Beats me, I don't spend much time on the local repeaters. Chatted with a friend who is a full time firefighter and one who is a Lutheran pastor and they are both busy and taking extra precautions.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    Hi guys,

Just wondering what the response to the current crisis is in your ham radio circles?
    No fucking clue, as I have no ham radio circle.

I try not to turn on the vhf/uhf radio. I don't need to hear stupid shit. I don't need to hear right-wing nonsense. (that might be the same thing)

About once or twice a year I turn on the vhf/uhf radio just long enough to remind me why I don't turn on the vhf/uhf radio.
    Last edited by KJ3N; 03-30-2020 at 02:00 PM.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Master Navigator
    I participated in the first on-air meeting of the radio club in the next town west of here last night. It sounded like a regular ham club meeting. I think that's what our club is planning next week. We have nets on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday nights. The Tuesday night net is on 10 meter SSB.

Quote Originally Posted by K0RGR View Post
    The Tuesday night net is on 10 meter SSB.
    Frequency?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

one of the two *very* local clubs had their first meeting on zoom last thursday. nobody mutes their microphone so we got to hear all the background noise from every participant. they think they did ok (because this is their first time) but it was a shit show of epic proportions. they say it'll be better next month.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane