Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FL2100B

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

FL2100B

Several years ago, I embarked with my bride on the 100 Mile Yard Sale. It primarily runs up along the east coast of Minnesota and the west coast of Wisconsin. Our first stop was in Winona, MN. I'm wandering about a cluttered garage, not really seeing anything that interests me, when I accidentally hit a box under a table with my foot. It's labeled with a price tag of $40 and has a Shure microphone sitting in it along with a rats nest of wires and other knick knacks. I decide to take a closer look. There's a Yaesu FL2100B amp in the bottom. I didn't hesitate. I grabbed it, nearly herniated myself, and threw my money at the lady running the sale as I fled the scene with my loot. I got it home, took it to my shack, where it sat. And sat, and sat. I was a little afraid to plug it in. I didn't have a variac and didn't know how long it had been sitting. When we moved this summer, I lugged the thing to the new house, and down the steps to my basement shack. I probably should have had help. Cut to a few weeks ago, I was a few whiskeys in and threw caution to the wind. I plugged it in. No smoke. I let it sit for a day like that, keeping an eye on it. Seemed OK. Last week I ordered a keying interface, a resonant antenna and a few other things I probably didn't need. Friday after work I hooked it all up. Thing runs like a champ. I have to build a riser at work Monday to get the monitor off it and open up the ventilation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KC9ECI; 03-01-2020 at 09:49 AM.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

Damn nice find.

I was after a 2100Z (which matches the FT-901/902/101Z series) for many years. This past December I found one (early model; no WARC bands) on eBay.

Next step is to get a WARC-band version and maybe a 2100B to round out my FL/FR-101 station.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Got a resource for 572b's ? Seems that they are made of "Unobtainium".

I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

There was a shortage a few years ago. RF Parts (and others) worked to fix it.

A little more money now, but isn't everything? Except gasoline. For now.

Nice amp.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    There was a shortage a few years ago. RF Parts (and others) worked to fix it.

A little more money now, but isn't everything? Except gasoline. For now.

Nice amp.
    Yeah, I know that there was a problem back when - when I order some and was shipped 811's branded as "572b's".

Did you notice that some of the 572b's offer by RF Parts were listed as "Vertical Mount Only" and that others are marketed as "Exact Copies" of Cetrons?

I have two Cetron 572b tubes in a Heath SB-200, in search of more.

Thanks. Tubes are a bit soft, thinking I might order up a set next fall.

I found something interesting, the 572 line is a fork of the 811 line, the 572B and 811A have the same specs. I did a little preview shopping and found the "Taylor" brand sold by RF Parts are made by Shuguang that raises a big ? because my experience with Chinese parts is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. (Credit to Forest Gump) The Svetlana tubes that I swear by have been discontinued, I don't know why, I haven't bought tubes in a while. Then I came across DX Engineering in oHIo. Since they are house brand the manufacturer is unknown, they got rave reviews, but one "Obscene shipping charges. They shipped a part to me in a 9" x 12" x 4" box and charged me $12.95 when it could've been put in a padded envelop for $1.83. More on Yelp

So, the bottom line here is the same as with anything; Mama said, mama said, you better shop around.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Then I came across DX Engineering in oHIo. Since they are house brand the manufacturer is unknown, they got rave reviews, but one "Obscene shipping charges. They shipped a part to me in a 9" x 12" x 4" box and charged me $12.95 when it could've been put in a padded envelop for $1.83. More on Yelp.
    Their HQ - co-located with Summit Racing - is about 20min from my QTH, and a good friend (I was his Elmer) works at DXE. I can drive there and pick things up but every trip I make turns expen$ive (I'm also a gearhead).

I now have 4 amps which use 572Bs. Probably ought to pick up another set or three before any more -2100s make their way to my door.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I just ordered some stuff from DX E and got free shipping as it was over $100. A pair of tubes should get me that again if I go that route. I see there is a yaesu service bulletin about using the Taylors and a mod that needs to be made.