Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 10 Meter Amp

As I was about to take the board off of the heatsink I discovered something that was hiding from me.

Corrosion.

It would seem that in this amp's past there was some water damage that fried the preamp and froze the smaller relay. After replacing the the old resistors with new half watt versions I began shooting Deoxit and doing some gentle scraping. Guess what?

It's working and it sounds really good!

Yes. I did remove the cover of the small relay and shoot it full of Deoxit. That's an exaggeration but it is clean now however, it does not do anything. No noise is heard and no action is resulting when I flip the switch to the preamp. That's OK though. We didn't need that added noisy buggar anyway.
    Removing the cover to the large relay proved to be a bit more difficult. I bro0ke one of the tabs that holds it in place. That's OK. The entire unit will stay covered with its case so I think the sloppy fit of the relay cover won't be that big a deal.

Let me say that I appreciate most everyone's input in this thread regarding this topic. You are a group of people that I hold in high regard and may the deity(s) or whatever, of your choice bestow upon each of you special dispensations. OK, just looked that up. Forget what it says on the internet. I mean some type useful or otherwise desirable blessings from or through the æther. Health and Wealth together are usually very much appreciated so, Health and Wealth to each of you!

You did the work man!

And yes, pre-amps are dumb for most 10 meter setups.

Would shake your hand and maybe a hug, for congrats.

I suggest a new mutual greeting for these times:

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Uh, maybe share hand sanitizer or fistbump with latex?

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    And yes, pre-amps are dumb for most 10 meter setups.
    Three of the receivers in use here incorporate pre-amps: The R-7, R-70 and R-71A. Most times they're turned off. The two Icoms are often run with the Attentuators turned on as well. That said...late at night, when man-made QRM/QRN is at a minimum, those pre-amps can come in handy when working a station way, waaayyy out there. Especially if the other guy's setup isn't as strong on the TX end of things.

Back in my 11M daze (when there were people to talk to on the band) one of my buddies lived a considerable distance from me, but still within the state. I had an Ameco RX pre-amp inline with my antenna feedline and he had similar on his end. 10-15dB of amplification may not sound like much but it made the difference between copy and no copy. (I had a 2-el Yagi fixed in my friend's direction, while he had an omnidirectional setup. His antenna came in handy for his wrecker business, long before the advent of affordable cell phones.)

My CPI CP-2000/BC-2000 combo has a receive pre-amp in the Base Console accessory. When I have the rig inline, I almost never run the pre-amp. I suspect those devices were marketed at a time long before the arrival of noisy switching power supplies and PWM controllers on the consumer electronics scene.
    Last edited by N8YX; 03-05-2020 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Grammar
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."