Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First post from new Win10 system

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Got my 4TB drive in the mail yesterday.

Put it in the system, added the last serial port connector and buttoned everything back up. As soon as I got it booted I created two drives of ~2TB each, moved the swap file and all the VMs onto one then set the OS to back itself up on the other.

VM startup is slightly slower as compared to running from the SSD but not objectionable by any means.

Installed KiCAD in both this VM and on the Win10 host. It's not as smooth when run by VM as it is "native" but perhaps a different (more resourced) VM config on the next host machine will fix that.
    I did something similar here at work. I've got 7 TB of 10000 RPM RAID and 64 TB of NAS storage.

All the data shares reside on the NAS with WD RED data center drives. All the operating systems on the fast RAID.

At this point I can't even identify a bottleneck in our current use scenario :)
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

My local computer shop proprietor swaps drives in his "buy-ins" leaving nearly new HDDs of 500Gb and 1Tb at astonishingly low prices. I use these for backup of either complete discs or just some of the partitions.

Some radio software doesn't run in anything after XP so I have a "window" installed to run XP from Windows 10.

A bit of an update to my earlier thread (with some Warrenesque commentary regarding UEFI):

With Win10 as a host OS and Mint 19.3 as guest, I was seeing multiple (>1 per day) crashes of the guest...which occasionally took the host down with it. I wanted to install Mint in a dual-boot configuration but due to the way I'd set Win10 up (MBR vs GPT) this wasn't possible. Also questionable is this SH67's BIOS - it supposedly doesn't support UEFI booting.

I got another 1TB drive and sourced a dual SSD mounting bracket, tore the PC apart today and configured it so both SSDs are on the 6GB channel of the SATA controller while the 4TB spindle and Blu-Ray/DVD-R are on the 3GB channel. Mint was installed on the second SSD with an EFI partition. In BIOS setup I can select "UEFI Boot" (to boot Mint) or the first SSD in the lineup (for Win10) and it works swimmingly.

The 4TB drive has a couple of partitions and one of these is used as a common VM container. The VMs can be started by whichever host OS is booted, and Mint/Mint or Win/Win is quite doable.

I'm typing this on the host, while the guest Win10 system occupies the right-most 24" monitor and a 17" which is located right next to it. I created a USB mount in the Settings utility for the Startech USB-VGA adapter which drives that monitor - and on VM bootup, its integrated driver installs and the monitor is ready for use. Mint doesn't have a driver for the Startech adapter but it's a moot point since I only use that display as a Windows program monitor.

About the only funny business I encountered under Mint so far was that one of the 24" displays was detected with a maximum resolution of 1024x768. An xrandr command ("addmode VGA-1 parms") did the trick and I now have 1920x1080 on both 24" displays. When Windows 10 is run as the host, all displays work at assigned resolution on bootup - every time.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Additional funny business (though the host is stable):

Many people report pointer and cursor craziness when running Win10 inside a VM and using a USB-VGA adapter. After I typed the previous post, guess what I saw on my system?

The interim fix is to use the VMSVGA (not VBoxSVGA) driver, and set the USB-VGA monitor as Primary Display. Then set a custom scaling option in Windows for the other monitor.

This appears to be a Windows virtualization issue, as the OS runs fine on the hardware.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."