Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am losing it!

I am losing it!

Super Glue that is.

I buy a tube of Super Glue, use some, put the cap back on and then, promptly proceed to misplace it; by the time I find it, it is dried up in the tube so, I have to get more.

*Smart me* sees a pack with 4 tubes of Super Glue, buys it, cracks one tube, uses some then I put on "used" container with the unopened three and........wait for it...

I mislay the pack containing all 4 containers of Super Glue.

The only upside will be, when I find them, at least three containers will still be good.

In an ideal world, labeled glass containers and shelves.
    In a perfect world, same as above with apothecary drawers.

You have a memory like my memory, no memory. I used to write notes, then I'd forget where I put them. That was fixed when I bought a whole slew of small, strong, "doughnut" magnets to stick notes to the refrigerator, problem solved. Well, one problem solved, but another cropped up, a refrigerator covered with paper and magnets.

That having been said, forget the Super Glue. It's best used for what ethyl cyanoacrylate was developed for, sticking your fingers together. (surgical glue) There's no point in trying to save a partially used tube, it's hard as a rock in a week. It's only good on porous materials, liquid hide glue (one common brand is Gorilla Glue) serves that purpose, is cheaper, and the opened bottle lasts longer, much longer. Same for casein glue (Elmer's) and both are great for woodworking and require clamps like most strong glues. Thank the cows, hides, hooves, and milk for glue, milk and meat for food and bone for meal filler in McDonald's hamburgers. Gorilla Glue now comes in several formulas for different applications, I suggest you forget Super Glue and check the Internet for what the guy in the furry suit has to offer. Then leave the bottle in a prominent location you look at frequently.

At first Krazy Glue (same as Super Glue) was advertised by a "construction worker" hanging by his hard hat from an I beam and the package claimed it could be used for metal to metal. BUNK! I glued a small transformer that had no mounting tabs to the inside panel of a transmitter. All went well until it fell on the mains power/function switch and started a fire. Having taken yet another course in The School of Hard Knocks I mounted it with the frame from another transformer and two short self tapping screws like I should have done in the first place.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Lastly I suggest you make America grape again starting with your own house and habits. Develop coping skills like I have, one is a strong belief in there's a place for everything and everything in its place. Never EVER just set something down and walk away, not only does that lead to clutter, also you'll never find it again. Lay out those places logically, and when you're done with something put it back where you got it from. If you can't remember where you got it from you have Alzheimer's... (;->) make a list of places with a floor plan of your house and number them. Then when using #5 put it back in location #5, simple enough? Remember Mr. Douglas and his ditsy wife in Green Acres with the electric cords numbered? Yeah, like that. (;->) If you're not THAT scatterbrained and can count to 10 you'll remember where those places are as I do having learned to cope with forgetfulness.
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 12-03-2019 at 08:37 AM.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

It's "Freudian" dang it, I swear it is.

I had two touch-up tasks, I required Super Glue and one required Silicone gasket sealant. I purchased both adhesives at the same time. When I got home, it took more time opening and closing the packages than it took to do the jobs. One dab of Silicone for insulation and one dab of Super Glue on a glass do-hickie. All of this takes place in the radio room where, I put everything back into it's place.

(Rhetorical question) How come, I can find the Silicone but not the Super Glue?

What makes it Freudian? I'm glad you asked, in my career of field service of onsite office equipment, I had this one team member (I followed him around fixing his fuck ups) who, would not properly do mechanical adjustments and, who had a bad habit of using Lock-tite and Super Glue instead for doing the proper repairs.

One good thing, while I haven't found the Super Glue, I did find the Ni-Cad battery charger!

Quote Originally Posted by koØm View Post
    < snip >
    (Rhetorical question) How come, I can find the Silicone but not the Super Glue?
    < snip >
    Murphy’s Law
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"What makes it Freudian?"
    That's the question of the ages, the answer only fits a very narrow range of circumcisions... circumstances. Siggy was obsessed with his mother, a closet mother farker. If you want to call someone a dirty name that will keep them guessing call them a Freud. You're losing it, I lost it.

Murphy can be held in check by his arch nemesis Justin Case. Since I slammed Super Glue for being a rotter it goes into hiding whenever I'm around. Here goes round two, <ding> since it didn't bond with metal I have severe doubt it will with glass. Leave the glue alone, the charger is far more valuable. Completely changing the subject for no good reason... Speaking of chargers, Panasonic has a strange way of marketing AA, AAA Eneloop Ni MH cells and a smart charger that works with both that comes separately or loaded with 4 Eneloop AA cells "charged with solar power". Hmmm, sunlight shipped from Japan. The stocked charger is far less expensive than either bought separately.

Since my digital camera eats AA cells, and alkalines have no shelf life to speak of, I bought the smart charger stocked with 4 AA cells, so far so good. The charger is smart alright, it's a genius that rejects all but Ni MH cells and charges AA and AAA cells singly or in any combination and shuts each off when fully charged. As my need grew I bought a 4 pack of AAA cells and an 8 pack of AA cells, still so far so good. Since this Panasonic Eneloop commercial isn't on air I won't get in trouble with the FCC. (;->) For once I found a battery I swear by, not swear at!

One last commercial, this one for American Scientific & Surplus. This is an outfit you may like to keep your eyes on, the e-mail spam is actually useful. (;->) Aside from the silly junk I used to see advertised in the back pages of comic books they sell some pretty useful stuff at prices that can't be beat. I have a lighted magnifier and a very powerful adjustable metal body flashlight that puts Maglite to shame at a tenth of the price. Yeah, they're why the Eneloop AA 8 pack is sitting and waiting for the batteries that came with them to die. BTW white COB (chips on board) LEDs are the latest and greatest, that flashlight is like a hand arc light!

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

Slightly of topic:

"....no shelf life......"

I have resided in my present
    commode abode for over 25 years, there is a 60 watt incandescent bulb installed in the hall light fixture which, doesn't get powered on for more than 5 or 10 minutes total per year. The light bulb was here when I moved in and, I predict, the filament with less than 250 hours on it right now, will still be intact and glowing when I move.

ETA:

Edited to bring this back closer to home, too bad the opened container of Super glue doesn't last more than a few applications (or have the life span of my 60 watt bulb) after the first time you use it if, like me, you hide it from yourself.

Last edited by koØm; 12-06-2019 at 10:58 PM. Reason: added content

Mel, try the Loctite™ brand in a small but wide plastic bottle with squeezers on the sides. They're just black tabs and work like buttons. I've been carrying some in my riding backpack for over a year and it is still in like new condition and ready to be used right now. Of note, it is the gel form of super glue.

Starting with the lost Super Glue, it would have met a bitter end with the transformer fiasco if fate had not intervened and pissed me off again. A small plastic part cried out for a suitable adhesive that should have been modeling cement but for unavailability locally. The job fell to one drop of Stupid Glue that came in 4 packs only. All that for ONE LOUSY DROP? RRROOOWWWRRR!!! It just WOULD have to be the only readily available adhesive that bonds well with acetate. <sigh>

Remember Testor's airplane glue that came with Revell kits? Remember Lloyd Bridges in Airplane "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue."? Yeah, it was like that with a model airplane kit some relative gave me. Between the tedious job of breaking parts off a "tree", sticking them together, and doing it up close to see what I was doing, getting stoned in the process, halfway through it went into the trash basket. I tried the glue with the same brand that replaced it for other plastic purposes, it didn't work well at all.

Now off on another tangent, light bulb life. In 1901 the tungsten, or for COR our European, wolfram coiled coil filament in a rarified argon atmosphere hadn't been invented yet, bulbs were carbon filaments in a vacuum. As an aside I found one and kept it as a conversation piece only lighting it for display. That was before "planned obsolescence" entered the vocabulary, things were built to last, like the Centennial Bulb hanging in Station 6 of the Livermore-Pleasenton, CA Fire Department. How about a bulb with over a million hours on it? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Light Sorry Erick, that beats your almost never on bulb that has an exceptionally long... shelf life. (;->)
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

Planned obsolescence took care of the lifespan of the light bulb life.
    Normal over the counter ( if you still can get them) tungsten lightbulbs last 1000 hours, though i still have a Phillips "armour" version of a 15 watt light bulb for the army that last 5000 hours+ and already has that much burn hours and still goes strong.
    Same for LED bulbs, you can get el cheapo's with 15.000 hours and limited on/off switching, or good brand ones guaranteing 50.000 hours and unlimited on/off cycles.
    The last ones are more expensive, quality of the light is better as well, i use the last ones, pay a bit more for quality.
    35 years back Phillips came with the first energy saving lamp, fluorescent with a large glass housing around it, still works after approximately 25.000 hours running.
    TL lights here all replaced with LED, from 40 watts TL lamps to 18 watts LED same strength in light.
    Rest is all replaced with LED, just the light in the oven and microwave is tungsten 15 watt, heat resistent.
    Even light in the frezer/fridge is LED.
    Outside light, as well permanent hall light, strips of LEDs fed by or solar panel and old car battery or the old unused doorbell transformer.
    Use of electricity for 2 persons is 2700 KW/H a year.

No central heating, just 2 gas heaters, 700 cubic meters gas use a year, washing up, showers, and heating.
    Compared to the same houses with central heating they use 1400 cubic meters gas a year.
    Good insulated house, double glass down and upstairs, floor insulating, double wall insulating.
    Normal temperature in the house is kept at 18 to 19 C, which is warm enough for both of us.
    Which takes our energy bill to 130 euro's a month, mostly getting 300 euro's back end of year.
    Last edited by PA5COR; 12-07-2019 at 10:58 AM.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution