Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I am losing it!

American Science and Surplus, item ad copy by Warren?

I kid, I kid.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Now you don't have to worry about losing it now that you found American Science and Surplus. Jarvis, the weirdo with the fan on his back sells some mighty strange things, I'm not surprised by the disposable paper underwear. In true weirdo style he calls things by weird names like hinting they're used for (diarrhea) emergencies. Maybe he doesn't know that Depends don't leak. (;->) I've been trying to wean you off Super Glue and direct you to better adhesives, now you'll find them at ASAS while they last. I mentioned wood glue, I found paint-able wood glue/filler there, but for filler I have always used Plastic Wood, a putty made from sawdust. I also found something any ham contemplating a tower, a 500ft spool of PVC coated galvanized steel cable for $34.50 https://www.sciplus.com/pvc-coated-a...spool--54983-p or for one also used as a radiator such as a grounded vertical folded monopole, 50ft lengths of 2650lb test "battle cord" for $10 each. Using non-conductive guys saves the expense of ceramic egg insulators breaking up steel rope into non-resonant lengths. Last but least, it's about time somebody started selling comfortable men's underwear! Jockey shorts; Por favor no rompas mis huevos! Boxer shorts; It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing... doo wa doo wa doo wa? Duluth Trading Company has come up with briefs that take good care of the family jewels.

Duluth Trading.jpg

Back to the off topic light bulbs... COR, you're a typical European keeping your house at 19C, that's fine for anybody dressed properly. I've heard it said Americans keep their houses too warm, and they're right. I remember the complaints my ex landlord got when he lowered the zone heating thermostats from 24C to 20C, he told them "just put on some clothes". No more running around in their underwear! That was during the government's subsidy called "seal up and save", but the house was already sealed up as well as any could be excepting floor insulation. That would make the basement as cold as outside, those using the laundry room wouldn't like icy temperatures one bit.

Light bulbs, incandescent comes in three flavors, home, industrial and traffic light, the latter being phased out by LEDs. Traffic light bulbs are squat, flattened, strange looking ones with a thick envelope made to fit into the cramped socket area behind the colored lens. I would imagine railway signal bulbs are the same, but they too are being phased out. It's been a long time since I bought for stock industrial bulbs used for factory and warehouse security and safety lighting mounted high and on 24/7/365, I never replaced one. Like mechanic's shock resistant drop light bulbs they have heavy filaments with extra support wires. I don't have to tell you why in my backup career as an industrial electrician I never replaced one.

LED bulbs, some funny looking, are the coming thing, and there's a lot that can be done with COB LEDs. One annoying thing, finding computer fans and hardware without colored LEDs is becoming more and more difficult. Unlike the geeky freaky crowd that stuffed everything with neon, now colored LEDs, I'm old school preferring my computer lovingly named Minya, the one before Godzilla having fathered Minya, to be a plain old dark inside magic box. Godzilla's case came with blue LED fans, I cut the wires. When I replaced Minya's sleeve bearing fans with ball bearing fans I shopped carefully avoiding "glow fans". That gripe out of the way, you get a long distance pat on the back for replacing them all with LEDs. I'm sure you know they not only save you unneeded expense, they also save the environment by greatly reducing the load on the power grid. Now we're migrating to energy that falls from the sky I have only one wish, move faster toward greater efficiency without interference from oil and coal interests. Being a sci-fi buff I read a story some years back about every home and factory having a Shipstone, a smallish sealed box named for its inventor and company that makes them. They don't last forever, nearing end of life a call to Shipstone brings a crew to replace it. Based on that premise I see the future of solar power, smaller and more efficient systems that will eliminate power stations and all those ugly wires, and especially those ugly, prone to catastrophic failure wind farms.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

This site has interesting tools and glues.

For repairing and building guitars, but certainly useful for other things.
    https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_an...and_Adhesives/

A simple trick I have used for applying cyanoacrylate (superglue) is a "sewing needle mod".

Cut the point off, deburr and round it off. Then cut the eye end so you have two prongs, like a fondue fork.
    Deburr and smooth it out with strips of at least 400 grit sandpaper, including the inside of the now opened "eye".

Fit the now blunted point end into a pin vise, such as one of those tiny screwdriver kit handles, you may already have one.
    Or, use a hemostat clamp to hold it in a "pinch". This will give great control for applying a tiny amount for a thin layer.

Put a tiny drop in the fork shape, and use it to transfer glue from the bottle tip to one side of the surface being glued.

I'm a big fan of these cyanoacrylate glues. The gel types are pretty cool for more porous and "need for flexing" repairs.
    Last edited by WØTKX; 12-09-2019 at 02:43 PM.

That lumberjack manages to get himself into some predicaments, he needs to leave the angry giant beaver alone. If on one of those rare occasions I put the TV on, if he's the first commercial I get a few giggles, if that Liberty crap or worse, the company that buys and sells structured settlements playing that infuriating jingle comes on I can't grab the remote fast enough. Bringing that Dire Straits song into the digital TV age, 357 Channels And Nothing On, Elvis would have used a bazooka!

Elvis RCA TV @ Graceland.jpg

I bookmarked that guitar glue site for future reference, one day I may need some adhesive or soldering brushes. That copper tape may come in handy for something electrical. What do they call "Super Glue"? I've never seen bottles or replacement bottles*, only small one time tubes because once opened it's all hard right quick, and never heard of accelerator, that stuff dries too fast as it is. They have all sorts of fine applicators making the modified sewing needle really not worth the effort to make. Fish glue??? I sure wouldn't want that stink when I played my bizarre repertoire on my Japanese guitar! (Thanks Robert Palmer, thanks Elkie Brooks) Well waddya know, I haven't seen hide glue powder, just add warm water, since high school wood shop. Not that I'll ever need any, I didn't pull a Who on my Japanese electric finger buster even with Gibson Light strings.
    "I'm a big fan of these cyanoacrylate glues."
    After the bias supply transformer misadventure that set my Johnson Ranger on fire I don't know what to say besides in the end it became a Ranger 2 with 807 modulators.

* Replacement bottles, American Science & Surplus has more bottles than you can shake a stick at... if you like shaking sticks at bottles.

Last edited by kb2vxa; 12-09-2019 at 03:41 PM.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

I gave up on Super Glue and spinoffs years ago. Gorilla Glue is far superior so what if it takes hours to harden. I also use good old Duco Contact Cement, the stuff in the glass bottle with the applicator brush on the cap.
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

Oh, absolutely. I use epoxies and other types of glue depending what I'm doing. JB Weld is magic, and machineable.

I have a more positive attitude to cyanoacrylates because I learned how to use them in a "pro" environment.
    Made by Eastman Kodak, and had been in use since the '50s. Different formulas for smooth surfaces, etc.

Including activators that speed up cure time. Stuff is weird. Many problems come from using too much.

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Oh, absolutely. I use epoxies and other types of glue depending what I'm doing. JB Weld is magic, and machineable.

I have a more positive attitude to cyanoacrylates because I learned how to use them in a "pro" environment.
    Made by Eastman Kodak, and had been in use since the '50s. Different formulas for smooth surfaces, etc.

Including activators that speed up cure time. Stuff is weird. Many problems come from using too much.
    Easy to use too much. Have you seen the fingerprint trick. The fumes off regular super glue can reveal fingerprints.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/msp5018/...ue-fuming.html

Yes I have, never tried it. Looks interesting.