Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lunch box QSO

Lunch box QSO

Last Friday I had a nice chat with WB2ODD on 6 meters AM. I was using my Heath HW-29A Sixer and Argonne AR-54 mic. Now that was fun.
    lunchbox and ar54.jpg

Nice looking rig George, especially the Argonne AR-54 mic. That green makes it pop! Love it!

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

This is awesome. I wish my skill set was of your caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    This is awesome. I wish my skill set was of your caliber.
    Thanks Charles. I get lucky once in a while.

ar54.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Nice looking rig George, especially the Argonne AR-54 mic. That green makes it pop! Love it!
    The paint is Rust-oleum American accents ,2X ultra cover. Meadow green. It's a bit darker than the original color, but I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Ah yes, a Benton Harbor Lunchbox and Green Hornet mic. It had to be a day when the band was dead or nearly so, those regen receivers pulled in the whole band at once. Those crystal mics on Atlas desk stands with holes drilled in the base for an SPST NO spring return toggle switch made excellent CB base station mics.

Only one small mistake, really inconsequential, IIRC the original paint was a flat, non-reflective green. That reminds me of a HUGE mistake I pointed out rather loudly so more than my friend heard clustered around a table at a hamfester. This guy was selling two not so perfectly restored Johnson Valiants he put SO much effort into, one had the cover off showing a spotless interior like brand new. Speaking loud enough to be heard by the crowd I asked why $400 each just to make him go through his spiel about restoration, yadda yadda yaa... Then came the punch line that nearly got ME punched, "I'll give you $40 for both of them." WHAAAA??? "You ruined them, E. F. Johnson never sprayed any of their products with clear lacquer!" I had blended in the crowd across the field by the time he crawled under the table, got up and looked around. To quote Bugs Bunny's famous tag line, "Ain't I a stinkah?" <cue The Merry Go Round Broke Down> Thedadadada thedadadada thedadadada... That's all folks!
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 05-20-2019 at 09:23 AM.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by w2amr View Post
    Last Friday I had a nice chat with WB2ODD on 6 meters AM. I was using my Heath HW-29A Sixer and Argonne AR-54 mic. Now that was fun.
    lunchbox and ar54.jpg
    ”Impressive! Most impressive!”

Did you restore the Sixer, use it as acquired, was the original builder? Inquiring minds etc etc etc.

A few years ago, I picked up a Twoer (in poor condition) off of eBay, intending to strip it down and rebuild it. Then I found one in pretty good condition at a hamfest, then another... I now have four. Still plan to rebuild at least one of them.

Meanwhile, I was given a ‘sister’ rig at a hamfest. Outer case in untouched... no one cut a hole in it to access the crystal socket. Just not sure yet what I’m going to do with the actual rig, outside of salvaging some parts. Anyone want a CB’er?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I had one of those but it was "Stol-sold" without my permission, I will not go into the story but, I am waiting for a relative of mine to kick the bucket so that I can desecrate her grave - often!

She might outlive me, who knows then she would add additional insult to injury by desecrating my grave.

The crystal cartridge that came with the Green Hornet mic and many others like the Turner 250 hand mic and Laughingyet (Lafayette) cheap knockoff of the RCA 77BX that had two facing each other was pretty much "the universal crystal cartridge". Just about every electronics house of the day stocked them, even in the 1972 movie Sleeper Woody Allen stuck one in his mouth and pretended to be a robot. They were like cockroaches in New York, they were everywhere!

Woody 1973.jpg
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Wonder what else he put in his mouth...

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful