Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two people found razor blades in their Halloween candy!

I don't know what kind of towns you guys grew up in, but in Rahway, NJ where I spent my feckless youth such things were unheard of. Frankly none of this nonsense was on the news until the 1982 Tylenol recall, and my OM was glued to the TV watching NY news every night... hmmm... Why do I feel like I grew up in a bubble?
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Yea. I grew up with Minnesota Nice.

Sure, the stories made national news, but, nothing local.

A few pranks, egging and TP for mean neighbors.

Pillowcases for candy bags, filled so damn heavy it was hard to carry.

Home made stuff too, toffee, taffy, caramel apples and like that.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Heard about razors and needles since I heard about Halloween. We are a FEAR CULTURE.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Heard about razors and needles since I heard about Halloween. We are a FEAR CULTURE.
    Yep. The terrorists won.

If I see a clown with black balloons around my house (out in the sticks of Virginia) I'll light him up and I don't mean with a flashlight.
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

It seems that Mini Soda, the land of pony bottles, and Nazi Jersey were the head of the coin, and South Carolina the tail end. Maybe the Mason-Dixon culture, I don't know. I thought it was out in the Styx, a reference to the Underworld, that feeling of being alone, oh well. If you want to light up Gags be sure you do it before he disappears, and if he does DO NOT go looking for him. He plays a cat and mouse game herding people who seek him out and when they're on HIS turf, they die. After each killing he carries one less balloon, that's why they're black. Here's the spoiler, the movie is a suspenseful mystery/thriller keeping you on the edge of your seat, then Gags sneaks up behind, dumps you on the floor, and stands over you laughing.

Oh, somehow the trick part of trick or treat got bumped up an evening and became Mischief Night. Kids today have an advantage we never had, portable scanners to avoid the Spook Patrols. One Mischief Night my father went through his second childhood early when I was caught sneaking out of the house. He loaded up with "ammunition" and took me around in his '57 Chevy, the car I later learned how to drive in, and we went out. Where it was dark with no one around we hopped out and let 'er rip, took off laughing in search of our next victim.

Then years later when I lived in West Creek, still in NJ only a few kids came around led by their parents in groups. They must have watched one horror movie too many, it's such a peaceful, quiet town where everybody knows everybody else, a rural area between salt marshes and the Pine Barrens. From there I lived in Point Pleasant Beach, your typical minor shore resort town, on Halloween it was the same thing unlike Rahway years ago where they came out in droves and only the carpet crawlers, and ankle biters were accompanied by parents. The others waited behind the front door for that cry "Anything for Halloween?" Funny thing, back in "the beach" the only sign of Mischief Night was one large hundred year old house with a hitching post that got the TP treatment. The high school principal?

One last thought, the best prank was the helpful one, soaping car windows. Leave them until the morrow, rinsing it off with plain water washed the windows. "Hey you kids, come back and soap the whole car!" (;->)
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Me too even though it was the Suburbs of Jersey a bit north of Hackensack.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by W5BRM View Post
    Yep. The terrorists won.
    Yeah, sort of. They just knew how to play us. We were a fear culture long before the terrorists came over.
    From a religious standpoint, the Puritans brought over fear doctrine, angry sky father type of stuff. A common theme in a lot of religions.

Raunchway is what you might call the 'burbs too, but Hack & Suck was/is another country altogether, part of the NYC/Newark blight. South of Forked (pron. fork-ed, not forkt) River the landscape changes drastically. Being used to the BENNY* attitude I was surprised when I moved to West Creek, waiting outside the Shop Rite in Stafford for a friend to emerge total strangers rather than passing in silence said hello and some stopped to chat. Along Rte. 9 Forked River marks our Mason - Dixon line, down south the accent changes and you're greeted with good old fashioned southern hospitality. If you plan to live there be sure to pronounce Fork-ED River and West CRICK correctly or you're one of those damnyankees, all one word.

* BENNY - Bayonne Elizabeth Newark New York
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Raunchway is what you might call the 'burbs too, but Hack & Suck was/is another country altogether, part of the NYC/Newark blight. South of Forked (pron. fork-ed, not forkt) River the landscape changes drastically. Being used to the BENNY* attitude I was surprised when I moved to West Creek, waiting outside the Shop Rite in Stafford for a friend to emerge total strangers rather than passing in silence said hello and some stopped to chat. Along Rte. 9 Forked River marks our Mason - Dixon line, down south the accent changes and you're greeted with good old fashioned southern hospitality. If you plan to live there be sure to pronounce Fork-ED River and West CRICK correctly or you're one of those damnyankees, all one word.

* BENNY - Bayonne Elizabeth Newark New York
    A little town called New Milford. North of the mess called Hackensack and Teaneck, East of Oradell and River Edge, South of Haworth, and West of Bergernfield and Dumont. Yes a Benny I was. Went to College below the Jersey mason dixon Line in Glassboro.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.